Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

an 11 year old girl killed herself due to bullies. Update now includes link to story

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

She was only 11. :( link coming shortly.

The parents of an elementary school student who took her own life want to help other parents avoid dealing with such loss.

David Petee said that his 11-year-old daughter, Hailey, took her own life on Sunday morning. He said that she just no longer could deal with the bullying she encountered.

“She was daddy’s little princess, who I’ll never get to hold again, never see another birthday,” David said. “I won’t get to see my little girl grow up.”

David described his daughter as bright, adventurous and someone who aspired to sing.

Behind her beautiful smile, though, was a deep sadness and fear, her parents said.

Mother Melinda Groce said that her daughter, a fifth-grader at London Elementary School, was tormented by her peers before and after school.

“She would cry every day coming home from the bus stop, every day she was crying, she didn’t want to get on the bus,” Melinda said.

Melinda said that Hailey was constantly bullied because she wore glasses and struggled with Attention Deficit Disorder with hyperactivity.

Despite Melinda’s efforts to stop it, the bullying continued for more than a year. She said that her daughter just gave up Sunday morning.

“I saw her light on, so I thought she was awake, and I opened the door, and she was just hanging on the bed, and there was nothing I could do,” Melinda said.

The parents said that their daughter tried to stop the bullying. A few weeks ago, they found a piece of artwork that read, “Stop Bullying, Free Zone.”

We found this, she made a couple of weeks ago in school, for the reason of she wanted to put a stop to it,” David said.

Melinda, who said that Hailey was not bullied while in the school building, said that they would fight for other bullied children whose voices go unheard.

“This is not a joke,” Melinda said. “If these kids think it’s OK to do this to other kids because it’s funny to them, it’s not funny when you’re hurting another family. It may not be you, but you’re taking a kid away from someone else.”

School officials said that they were unaware of any recent bullying complaints involving Hailey but that such behavior at school is strictly prohibited and would not be tolerated.

The school planned to have grief counselors on hand on Monday to help other students deal with the loss.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/27/london-parents-say-11-year-old-was-driven-to-suicide-because-of-bullying.html

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Replies (81-88):
mommieofII
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM

WOW... Like I said to another poster you have no idea what had been done behind closed doors.. You have no right what so ever to say they didnt do everything they could. shame on you to blame the parents

Quoting Anonymous:

if I knew my kid was being bullied on the bus and nothing I did stopped it I would not be having her ride a bus.   Sad to say but the parents did not do all they could for their daughter.

gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

This is too sad and too common. Personally, IMO its the parents fault on both sides. Listen bullying has been here for ages. I do not think it has gotten worse. I think we are raising our kids to be too sensitive. There were the same bullies back in grandma's day. That used to throw rocks at her, beat he up behind the school yard and make her eat dirt. She once got her hair cut in school. And you know what. She survived. And when we got picked on in school, we were taught to toughen up, kids are mean. And that dad and grand pa will take you out back and teach you how to "put up your dukes". The bullies havent gotten worse, the parents have gotten more lax. "oh jenny is getting picked on, its the schools fault" "or its the town, we have to move" No A) teach you kids not to be little brats and have respect for thier peers. And B) teach your kids to toughen up. Teasing as much as it may suck, is a part of growing up. As grand pa used to say "it adds character, punch a kid in the nose and put some hair on your chest, stop acting like a pussy" Grand pa wasnt telling us to bully others, but he did teach us that when i comes down to it, dont go cry in a corner, suck it up and defend your selfs. As parents we need to step up and start being PARENTS and stop passing the buck to "society".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Vent away. I live in a city that had a high school shooting back in 2002 and the ONLY good thing that may have come out of it the elementary schools are hypervilligant about bullying. The kids have multiple resources to go thru if they feel bullied. They have peer mediation that they can sign up for if they are not getting along with each other. I'm sure it still happens to a degree but my oldest is in 8th and I have not seen any situations of real bullying at all....

Quoting Iamlegion:

Mine, too :(

I read something that someone wrote somewhere else today about how words can keep going like an unending track in your head when you are bullied.  It's so true.  

I have a neice in HS who was bullied on the school bus last year, so I just let her catch a ride with DD and me when we went passed by her school on the way to and from the elementary school for the rest of the year.  This year, she's a Senior, and my brother is best friends with the officer (whatever you call the cop who works on campus at high schools)- anyways, I have him looking out for her now.

I just keep telling her that this is the last year she has to get through- next year it will finally be over and she can start new, but they still get her on Facebook and everything- or get to her friends Facebook.

I hate Facebook :(

I can't imagine little kids going through the same thing.

But my 8 yr old had some little girls on the playground try it last year.  I got the teacher involved right away, so it wasn't so bad.  One little girl kept telling the other little girls not to play with my DD because she was ugly.  I told my DD that that just made those other little girls ugly on the inside.

But the teachers of all the little girls got on to them all and made them work it all out, so now its all good, but for awhile there, my little one kept faking being sick so she could go to the nurses office during recess.

It was a big mess, but all worked out in the end.

Kids can be viscious.

Okay- rant over- time for bed.

Thanks for the vent ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

It's just so so sad. Wish this kids realized that who they are, or who people think they are just doesn't matter in 10-12 years. SMH my heart breaks for all involved

Quoting Iamlegion:

I couldnt get your link to work either, but I read the post- it was nice :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Not to mention that someone here in CM posted this today and was sort of related to this young girl...ill try to find a link and come back

Edit sorry cant msje clicky on mobile http://m.cafemom.com/groups/read_topic.php?group_id=115189&topic_id=17984148

Quoting lancet98:

Look, another suicide myth.

There are plenty of them, though, especially around the subject of suicide attempts.   These are often 'trying it out' behaviors and quite often do lead to suicide.  

There are other myths of course - 'they're angry', 'they're selish/cowardly/lazy', 'people who talk about it don't do it', 'people who attempt it aren't serious/just want attention', and 'such and such a group doesn't commit suicide'.

All bull.

Dangerous, even deadly, myths, and maureen813 should be ashamed and embarrassed, for spreading such dangerous myths.   Get educated and until you are, STFU.

Just on this thread, among the few random people showing up and reading it, count the numbers.  

Also, yours was not EXACTLY the most sensitive and empathic comment to make at the point when someone says they lost their young sister to suicide.

As well as being a stupid, ignorant myth, and a deadly one at that.

Having lost a relative to suicide I find your comment EXTREMELY offensive and ill-timed.

Quoting maureen813:

The age and gender surprise me as few female preadolescents successfully complete a suicide attempt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM

The parents of an elementary school student who took her own life want to help other parents avoid dealing with such loss.

David Petee said that his 11-year-old daughter, Hailey, took her own life on Sunday morning. He said that she just no longer could deal with the bullying she encountered.

Behind her beautiful smile, though, was a deep sadness and fear, her parents said. 

Mother Melinda Groce said that her daughter, a fifth-grader at London Elementary School, was tormented by her peers before and after school.

“She would cry every day coming home from the bus stop, every day she was crying, she didn’t want to get on the bus,” Melinda said.

Melinda said that Hailey was constantly bullied because she wore glasses and struggled with Attention Deficit Disorder with hyperactivity. 

Despite Melinda’s efforts to stop it, the bullying continued for more than a year. She said that her daughter just gave up Sunday morning.

The parents said that their daughter tried to stop the bullying. A few weeks ago, they found a piece of artwork that read, “Stop Bullying, Free Zone.”

We found this, she made a couple of weeks ago in school, for the reason of she wanted to put a stop to it,” David said.

Melinda, who said that Hailey was not bullied while in the school building, said that they would fight for other bullied children whose voices go unheard.

“This is not a joke,” Melinda said. “If these kids think it’s OK to do this to other kids because it’s funny to them, it’s not funny when you’re hurting another family. It may not be you, but you’re taking a kid away from someone else.”

School officials said that they were unaware of any recent bullying complaints involving Hailey but that such behavior at school is strictly prohibited and would not be tolerated.

Tragic yes but exactly what did these parents do? They knew their child was being bullied. They knew why. They knew it wasn't in the school building. Did they tell the school? Did they know what kids and did they try to reach those brat's parents? What else did they do other than send that poor little girl into daily hell? They saw the sadness in her eyes and witnessed her crying daily. Then she finally finds a real way out because the people she trust have done nothing to remedy the situation. Now they want to talk out about bullying. This was an awful read, sad story and these parents need IQ evaluated.

If my child were bullied, I'd sure as hell tell the school, get them in counseling, speak with the parents or demand a school a meeting, contact the school board if I got no results, I'd demand a school transfer, pay for private school or home school. No way would I send my tearful child into hell for a freakin year! 

God rest her soul. May those parents recover as well and may those little brats live forever scourned with what they contributed to. 

SoltaniMommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM

There should be a law that sends the bullies to an institution.  

T-Rentsmommy06
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
This is awful. I remember the night an 11 yr old girl came into our ER from herself we worked almost an hr on her. Not sure if she was being bullied or not but it was so hard to see her and her mother. I pray I never know what it is like to lose a child, and I hurt for those that have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
So sad :(. I do believe bullying has gotten worse in the sense that there is no safe place. With internet and Facebook and all those things these bullies can get to kids 24 hours a day..and recruit a whole bunch of other bullies thanks to the internet. That's why I think its different. I think parents really need to be on top of what's going on with their kids and internet. Its not all that though, of course, but I think it plays a big part in it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM

What she wrote is statistical fact and I'm sure was not meant at all to be offensive.  It is simply a mathematical truth that suicide attempts by preadolscent females FAR outweight successful suicides.  This is not so true for males, who at that age, are 4 times more likely to complete the suicide than their female counterparts.  I don't understand what is so upsetting about looking at statistics when it comes to these issues.  On the contrary, I think it's important to look at these numbers to help find solutions and prevention.  We need to see the whole picture and to just read something and automatically be offended by her honest curiosity isn't going to help anything.

Quoting lancet98:

Look, another suicide myth.

There are plenty of them, though, especially around the subject of suicide attempts.   These are often 'trying it out' behaviors and quite often do lead to suicide.  

There are other myths of course - 'they're angry', 'they're selish/cowardly/lazy', 'people who talk about it don't do it', 'people who attempt it aren't serious/just want attention', and 'such and such a group doesn't commit suicide'.

All bull.

Dangerous, even deadly, myths, and maureen813 should be ashamed and embarrassed, for spreading such dangerous myths.   Get educated and until you are, STFU.

Just on this thread, among the few random people showing up and reading it, count the numbers.  

Also, yours was not EXACTLY the most sensitive and empathic comment to make at the point when someone says they lost their young sister to suicide.

As well as being a stupid, ignorant myth, and a deadly one at that.

Having lost a relative to suicide I find your comment EXTREMELY offensive and ill-timed.

Quoting maureen813:

The age and gender surprise me as few female preadolescents successfully complete a suicide attempt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)