Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Maybe not a confession but I need some perspective.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

My DH just got offered a job working on an oil rig in a different city. It's not a lot more money than he makes now but there aren't as many job expenses (He probably only takes home about 2 thirds of what he makes now.) Unfortunately this job isn't necessarily long term (the oil indusrty is pretty bust or boom, as my dad put it.) There are also a lot of safety hazards with this job as he would be working around very dangerous equipment and chemicals for very long hours at a time (we were told the workers are sometimes on site for 3 days or more straight.) He is guaranteed 40 hours a week and there are full benefits (completely free to us) which we don't have now, but it comes at a pretty high price. We also have 3 little kids and I'm pregnant with our fourth currently and it has been a very rough pregnancy (she's tried to come early once already.) If we took this job he would probably have to leave me and the kids for a month or two before we could move up there with him. Plus we only have one vehicle so he would have to rely soley on his friend who works at the same place for transportation because I can't be left for 2 months without a car and 3 kiddos. I know absolutely no one who lives in this city and it's almost 2 hours from where mine and his families live. There are a lot of bonuses too, though. Obviously taking home more money is a plus as well as putting less miles on ouyr car (his current job requires 50 miles of driving a day) and there are much better schools and hospitals where we would be moving to. It's also a chance to start over which we have needed for a while now. It's scary, though. I don't like the idea of him being gone that much especially if I go into labor unexpectedly again.

I guess I just need some input from the outside on this. We really have no idea what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happy41ce
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:25 AM
I'd wait till the baby comes.. That's just me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Would the job offer still be on the table after you have the baby? if so I think I would wait to move until after you have the baby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:27 AM

We have to make a decision by the end of the week. It's pretty much a now or never thing.

Quoting happy41ce:

I'd wait till the baby comes.. That's just me.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Pros:

More money, Great Benefits, less wear and tear on the car,Better Schools/Hospitals in new area, new start for family 

Cons:

Has to be away from family, safety hazards for DH,

christyg
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Do you have supprt where you are now? Friedns/Family that you can lean on while he is gone?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:31 AM

More to the cons list: The job may not last, won't have a support system (family/friends), plus the cost of living is a little higher as well.

Quoting Sassy762:

Pros:

More money, Great Benefits, less wear and tear on the car,Better Schools/Hospitals in new area, new start for family 

Cons:

Has to be away from family, safety hazards for DH,

milfanyway
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I would go for it. But I'm a risk taker. You dont move forward by treading water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Is the new job really worth the risk of your DH's life? I've seen the equipment on an oil rig that they have to work with. It's not an easy job, nor is it a safe job at all. If he does take this new job, he is risking his life every day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM

I have my dad and brother and his parents plus a couple friends. I could do it but it definitely wouldn't be easy.

Quoting christyg:

Do you have supprt where you are now? Friedns/Family that you can lean on while he is gone?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:36 AM

That's a big concern of mine but he doesn't seem nearly as worried about it. There are a lot of safety classes he would have to take but the company provides those. He's really not the most careful person, though, and that scares me.

Quoting maryjmom:

Is the new job really worth the risk of your DH's life? I've seen the equipment on an oil rig that they have to work with. It's not an easy job, nor is it a safe job at all. If he does take this new job, he is risking his life every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)