Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dying to see those golden gates

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

So what do you do when your 8 year old kid tells you he wants to go to Heaven so badly he wants to kill himself?

We are not religious people. I'm a pagan and have never taken my kids to church. My son may have gone with his dad a few times. He attends an hour of "religion" at our public school. It is his choice to do that, he really wanted to go so I let him.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Ask him why does he want to go to heaven? I would take him to a child psychologist there may be a deeper issue there? Just to be on the safe side. However if its found that he is just curious take him to church to speak to a priest or a reverend depending on where you take him and let them explain what their perspective of heaven. Either way you need to look into this a little deeper.

MPH_2010
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't take him to a phsych. I would take him to church. I mean if that's what he wants and chooses give it to him. By that of course I mean God not killing himself by no means. Also if you don't mind him knowing about God get yourself a bible and show him the scripture were God does not want him to kill himself. (this is only if your ok with him choosing his religion of course)

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:39 AM

He actually said he wants to kill himself so he can go to heaven?? I would take him to see Child Psychologist ASAP 

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I would tell him that heaven is a wonderful place but that God really wants him to enjoy his life on earth first and that people only go to heaven once they've lived long lives on Earth first.

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Probably take him to see a child psychologist. To find out why
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:48 AM

That is what I told him. I told him that God doesn't want people to kill themselves to get to Heaven and that you earn the right to get there. You need to live life so that you learn and mature. I told him that life is like elementary school and Heaven is like high school. You cannot just skip elementary to get to high school, you have to go through with each grade because they teach you something new and you have to mature.

I also told him that it may take many lives to get to Heaven, but that's me trying to teach him about paganism as well as his Christian interests.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

I would tell him that heaven is a wonderful place but that God really wants him to enjoy his life on earth first and that people only go to heaven once they've lived long lives on Earth first.

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:49 AM

What was his response?

Quoting Anonymous:

That is what I told him. I told him that God doesn't want people to kill themselves to get to Heaven and that you earn the right to get there. You need to live life so that you learn and mature. I told him that life is like elementary school and Heaven is like high school. You cannot just skip elementary to get to high school, you have to go through with each grade because they teach you something new and you have to mature.

I also told him that it may take many lives to get to Heaven, but that's me trying to teach him about paganism as well as his Christian interests.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:53 AM

He absorbed it. He didn't know that God didn't like it when you took your own life. I don't think that comment was made out of self hatred or anything. We were talking about going to somewhere tropical and warm because it was really, really cold outside. We were also talking about ghosts and demons and stuff so I think maybe he just has in his mind that heaven is going to be this really warm, tropical paradise and heaven got brought up because we were talking about death and demons. He's a very curious young man and asks a lot of questions.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

What was his response?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Just tell him that's the express lane to hell.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:00 AM
My 5yo told me he wanted to go to heaven so he can be with God. It's different because I talked to him about it and explained to him that one day he would go to heaven but not for a very, very long time and he understood as much as a 5yo can. But he definitely didn't say he wanted to kill himself and said ok mama, one day when im really, really old I'll go see God i heaven. We are not religious, I wasn't raised around any religion so I don't know much about anything. He does attend preschool at a baptist church though, they have the best prek curriculum in our area. I appreciate that they have given him a positive attitude about heaven/dying, he seems to be accepting. When I lost my baby in Sept, ds caught me in a moment of weakness. He said its okay mama I know you miss the baby that was in your belly but now she (yes he said she which broke my heart more since we didn't know they sex yet) is in heaven with God and she is okay.

I would just make sure you have open communication with your son about God and life and death. If it Doesn't seem to be enoight take him to counseling.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)