Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keep your SICK kid at HOME!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If your child has a cold, the flu, has vomited or had a fever in the last 24 hours KEEP THEM HOME!! They should be at home getting better! NOT at school, not in Daycare, NOT out and about! I don't CARE why you want to send them, you are getting every one else SICK with your irresponsibility!

My family has been sick since before HALLOWEEN!! Every time we get better, my DS brings something home from Preschool, and it makes its rounds through our house! First the stomach flu, then bacterial bronchitis, then a cold, then the flu... then another cold. over and over! I'm SICK of getting SICK!

Seriously, runny nose with anything but clear boogies- stay home.

Cough that sounds flemy- stay home.

vomiting, even once means- STAY HOME for 24 hours after the last time vomiting occured.

fever- even slightly elevated, also means stay home for 24 hours after the fever has been gone!

Otherwise, you are sharing your germs with every one else in your childs class!!

Thursday and Friday only 8 out of 17 kids was at my DS's class because of people like YOU sharing your childs cold! Keep it at HOME! That's where it belongs!

These are NOT just my arbitrary rules either! These are things that were printed in the paperwork YOU signed when you enrolled your child in this school! This is what EVERY pediatrician worth his (her) salt has recommended to you when your child is sick. stop spreading the germs! And for heavens sake, teach your child how to properly wash their hands!

Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
manda-nicole010
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Parents can't always just take time off of work and if you don't have anyone to watch your child, you don't. Places will fire you for calling in for reasons like that. Or your bills won't get paid. The list goes on. 

I don't agree with these things but those are the reasons and I can't fault someone for wanting to be able to make ends meet.

I'm sorry you've been sick. 

BluePandaDreams
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Sorry, but a common cold isn't a valid reason to stay home. Hell, I go into work with a stuffy nose and a cough. Perhaps the issue is with you all and a lower immune system. Try Airborne. That shit does wonders with building up the immunes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernwldchld
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:52 AM

I get what you're saying I do. Some things though, you don't know your kid has yet.

Like this flu going around? Seems like a little runny nose. Clear, watery, runny nose with a dry cough. When you're contagious anyway. Then you get hit with a high fever, feel like death, and once the fever stops you now have a wet, phlegmy cough.

But I do understand where you're coming from. Sounds like a frustrating cold season for you guys.

egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM
My 4 year old's school has strict rules too. His also mentions runny noses with anything but clear snot and they even go on to say if you even suspect they're coming down with something contagious (you know, like when something is just starting and they're feeling yucky but no major issues yet) keep them home and cancel home visits. But he goes to a special education preschool and some of the kids may not be 100% healthy.

My kindergarteners' school isn't as strict. But I understand where you're coming from. They've brought home so many germs since starting school and my poor dd (2) seems to catch most of them. Plus I'm pregnant and I must say I'm a little more worried about having a newborn now that they are in school and bringing all this stuff home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CuzImMOM
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM
I agree. And I do. But boy does dds school bitch
Bonita131
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I send my kids to school when they throw up because I know when they are making themselves throw up and when they are sick.  I also send them with coughs and runny noses due to allergies.  Keep your kids home if you are afraid of them getting sick.

If your kids are making themselves throw up, you're doing something wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:55 AM

My DS is in private school. The school gets their money regardless of whether he goes or not. They make us sign a CONTRACT saying that we will keep them home if they are sick. They don't limit the days he is allowed to miss. They actually have the student's best interests in mind.

These people are breaking their contract because they don't want to keep their child home. I know for a fact one of the parents that continues to send her child to school sick is a SAHM! There's NO reason she should be sending him sick to school. Yet she does any way. He's been sent home sick no less than 3 times this school year alone.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Wait til your kids are in elementary and can't be kept home.

Quoting Anonymous:

a dry cough or clearly running nose is okay. but a cough with phlem or boogies that are anything BUT clear are reasons to keep your child home.

Also, I'm talking about a preschool. No DSS (CPS) to call for missing class there.

I'm so sick of being sick!! yuck!

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Ugh I wish it was that simple. I agree with some of the illnesses you listed, but if I kept my child home every time she has a cough and runny nose, the school would take me to court after sending dss to my house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:58 AM

That would frighten me too! I can't imagine a newborn with some of these illnesses we've had! It's been hard with my 1 yr old catching them. Every time she gets a cold she has to be put on a nebulizer! It's frightening for her, and for me! She seems to get every thing 10x worse than any one else in the house!

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

My 4 year old's school has strict rules too. His also mentions runny noses with anything but clear snot and they even go on to say if you even suspect they're coming down with something contagious (you know, like when something is just starting and they're feeling yucky but no major issues yet) keep them home and cancel home visits. But he goes to a special education preschool and some of the kids may not be 100% healthy.

My kindergarteners' school isn't as strict. But I understand where you're coming from. They've brought home so many germs since starting school and my poor dd (2) seems to catch most of them. Plus I'm pregnant and I must say I'm a little more worried about having a newborn now that they are in school and bringing all this stuff home.

Sammi20
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Although I agree I must also point out that even when I stay at home with my dd I get whatever is going around Every time. I'm assuming my DH brings it from work. I don't think there is any way to avoid getting sick especially when kids are school aged. Plus who wants their kid missing school? They want to make sure they learn all they can and don't fall behind in class. But I repeat I do Agree with you! I don't want my kid sick and I don't want to be sick!

egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:03 AM
That's how it's been for my dd. It seemed like she was sick all of November and December, it was just one thing after another. And she hates the nebulizer so trying to get her to use it was a challenge.

Quoting Anonymous:

That would frighten me too! I can't imagine a newborn with some of these illnesses we've had! It's been hard with my 1 yr old catching them. Every time she gets a cold she has to be put on a nebulizer! It's frightening for her, and for me! She seems to get every thing 10x worse than any one else in the house!

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured