Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Keep your SICK kid at HOME!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If your child has a cold, the flu, has vomited or had a fever in the last 24 hours KEEP THEM HOME!! They should be at home getting better! NOT at school, not in Daycare, NOT out and about! I don't CARE why you want to send them, you are getting every one else SICK with your irresponsibility!

My family has been sick since before HALLOWEEN!! Every time we get better, my DS brings something home from Preschool, and it makes its rounds through our house! First the stomach flu, then bacterial bronchitis, then a cold, then the flu... then another cold. over and over! I'm SICK of getting SICK!

Seriously, runny nose with anything but clear boogies- stay home.

Cough that sounds flemy- stay home.

vomiting, even once means- STAY HOME for 24 hours after the last time vomiting occured.

fever- even slightly elevated, also means stay home for 24 hours after the fever has been gone!

Otherwise, you are sharing your germs with every one else in your childs class!!

Thursday and Friday only 8 out of 17 kids was at my DS's class because of people like YOU sharing your childs cold! Keep it at HOME! That's where it belongs!

These are NOT just my arbitrary rules either! These are things that were printed in the paperwork YOU signed when you enrolled your child in this school! This is what EVERY pediatrician worth his (her) salt has recommended to you when your child is sick. stop spreading the germs! And for heavens sake, teach your child how to properly wash their hands!

Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Replies (41-50):
AerickMomi_MrsD
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:46 AM

People don't understand how dangerous those illness are.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:47 AM

You want every single parent to keep their child home that has a cold? You really don't have a clue. Children are only allowed so many sick days. I understand having the flu, a fever, throwing up ec...but a cold? Honey, you need a reality check. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I AGREE I am so tired of seeing sick kids come to school daily it just infects others now my worker & I are sick thanks to stupid people who can't keep their kids home because they want to be a SAHM and that's the majority of our poarents at my school.

I see kids with green snot running down their noses and then they sneeze and out more comes it's just gross. Take your kid to the dr for all of us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:52 AM

where I live even if you've got freaking video evidence of your kid forcing themselves to vomit you still have to send them. Even if the kid himself says to the teacher "Mommy wouldn't let me do this so I made myself vomit" the teacher will ring you and make you take your child home

Quoting Anonymous:

I send my kids to school when they throw up because I know when they are making themselves throw up and when they are sick.  I also send them with coughs and runny noses due to allergies.  Keep your kids home if you are afraid of them getting sick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Your family needs vitamins or something if they are that sickly. I run an inhome daycare and so accept sick children and my family is never sick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:55 AM
I won't keep my ds home from school with a slight elevation of temp (99 to low 100.3). I do not drag my ds into the doctor for every cold, cough or green boogies.

Our bodies were meant to fight off this type of stuff.

My DS us getting over a cold that he's had for a week. He hasn't been to the doctor and has gone to school. I treat his symptoms so he isn't coughing, sneezing or having a runny nose throughout the day. He had a low grade fever, never higher than 100.2. I don't treat fevers until they reach 102.9+.

I know I'll get ripped to shreds but oh well. Our bodies were designed for this, we need to allow our bodies to get back to basics and do its job, not pump it with unnecessary antibiotics that aren't usually needed.

I let ds and my body fight for about a week. Increase vitamins, fluids, treat symptoms, food as tolerated, lots and lots of handwashing and lysol wipes. If he or I seem to be getting worse after a week or it's a persistant type of thing, I'll go to the doctor or of course, if the illness interfere's with airway or breathing. Even then, I actually have the equipment at home to treat respiratory issues so, unless I cannot manage his breathing or he or I cannot maintain an adequate airway, we'll go in immediately.

Without antibiotics, DS is almost all the way better. I actually have what he had and it sucks, lol but like I said, just have to treat the symptoms. DS is rarely sick and I'd like to think it has to do with me allowing his body to fight off whatever it is.

I send him to school usually because even if his symptoms weren't treated, he acts fine all day, until bed time....when I treat the symptoms, he acts like there is nothing wrong. That being said, people are generally contagious before any signs/symptoms are seen and once they become apparent, it's too late.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:55 AM

I live in a small town and the school nurse knows my kids and when they are faking and when they are really sick.  

Quoting Anonymous:

where I live even if you've got freaking video evidence of your kid forcing themselves to vomit you still have to send them. Even if the kid himself says to the teacher "Mommy wouldn't let me do this so I made myself vomit" the teacher will ring you and make you take your child home

Quoting Anonymous:

I send my kids to school when they throw up because I know when they are making themselves throw up and when they are sick.  I also send them with coughs and runny noses due to allergies.  Keep your kids home if you are afraid of them getting sick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:59 AM
1. Colds can last up to 2 weeks. It is impractical to keep a kid home for a cold.

2. A number of common childhood maladies are actually contagious even before symptoms appear.
SissyAnn141
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting Anonymous:

Ever think that maybe your kid is the one getting everyone else sick? Also, colds, flu, etc are contagious before any signs can be seen, so your kiddo will get sick regardless.....up the vitamin C and get the hell over it!

No, He went to a private School as a Teen, and did well .

He is 20 years old now. 

Thanks for asking,    lisairv

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:04 AM

our school has this thing where if you miss over 5 absences in a year without a doctor's note then you get reported and they get real nasty. It basically forces people to send their kids to school sick because not everyone has the $$$ to send their kid when a day or two in bed will fix them.

It's Cassandra Cat! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN