Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Keep your SICK kid at HOME!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If your child has a cold, the flu, has vomited or had a fever in the last 24 hours KEEP THEM HOME!! They should be at home getting better! NOT at school, not in Daycare, NOT out and about! I don't CARE why you want to send them, you are getting every one else SICK with your irresponsibility!

My family has been sick since before HALLOWEEN!! Every time we get better, my DS brings something home from Preschool, and it makes its rounds through our house! First the stomach flu, then bacterial bronchitis, then a cold, then the flu... then another cold. over and over! I'm SICK of getting SICK!

Seriously, runny nose with anything but clear boogies- stay home.

Cough that sounds flemy- stay home.

vomiting, even once means- STAY HOME for 24 hours after the last time vomiting occured.

fever- even slightly elevated, also means stay home for 24 hours after the fever has been gone!

Otherwise, you are sharing your germs with every one else in your childs class!!

Thursday and Friday only 8 out of 17 kids was at my DS's class because of people like YOU sharing your childs cold! Keep it at HOME! That's where it belongs!

These are NOT just my arbitrary rules either! These are things that were printed in the paperwork YOU signed when you enrolled your child in this school! This is what EVERY pediatrician worth his (her) salt has recommended to you when your child is sick. stop spreading the germs! And for heavens sake, teach your child how to properly wash their hands!

Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Replies (71-79):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Thats why there are people like me :) I run my daycare as a sick care as well (with the full knowledge and acceptance of all my clients) Because the reality is, kids get sick. and employers dont have the time or compassion to let you call off every time it happens. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:33 AM
The cold or flu turns into bronchitis which can be contagious it's also known as a secondary infection. I am dealing with this currently as I had the flu then thought I was better but in dealing with 4 kids who had the flu and strep throat I ended up with bronchitis. I understand needing to go to school and some moms talked about work but between my kids and me being sick I have missed three days of work and they missed almost the whole week of school last week. illness is not something to play with and I agree completely that children should not be at school sick. Just as adults shouldn't be at work sick.

Quoting Salsacookies:

Ok, so it's the cold or the flu that's contagious...not the bronchitis. Bronchitis is just a symptom. Like I said, I've gone to school with a cold. I can't afford to miss. It's not a good reason to stay home to me.

Quoting Anonymous:

How Contagious Is Bronchitis?

By Carole Ann, eHow Contributor

Bronchitis begins with a cough that develops into a frequent, wet cough with a lot of mucous, and may include headache, fever, wheezing, body aches and fatigue. The two kinds of bronchitis are chronic and acute. Chronic bronchitis is not contagious, but acute bronchitis may be. The important factor in determining if your bronchitis is contagious is the cause of it.

Acute Bronchitis

Acute bronchitis develops from a chest cold or the flu. This type may be contagious, if it is viral or bacterial.

Chronic Bronchitis

Chronic bronchitis is caused by environmental elements, such as smoke, secondhand smoke, pollutants, chemicals and pollens. This type of bronchitis is not contagious.

Contagious Period

If acute bronchitis is caused by a viral or bacterial infection, it is contagious for the entire time that symptoms are present.

Antibiotics

In both types of bronchitis, antibiotics will help only if the bronchitis is bacterial. However, antibiotics may be prescribed for individuals with chronic lung problems, such as asthma.

Home Treatment

Bronchitis may be treated at home, provided it is not a bacterial infection, by resting, drinking fluids and taking aspirin or acetaminophen for headache and body aches.

When to See the Doctor

If symptoms include a chest cold that has persisted more than two weeks, a fever above 102 degrees, breathing difficulties or wheezing, or if you are coughing up blood, a doctor should be consulted. The doctor should be informed of the frequency of the cough and given a description of the mucous produced by the cough.

Quoting Salsacookies:

Fever doesn't always mean contagious. A kid can have a fever and have an ear infection and could still be ok to go to school. I go to school with a cold all the time. I can't afford to miss a day...I'm in a fast track program and one day is about a week's worth of learning. I also get bronchitis, which is not contagious, and sometimes have a phlegmy cough. Unless you are a doctor or the parent, mind your own.

horseap
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Aiden has missed 6 days already and none of them were even from the flu!  In the beginning of school he hit his head on the bus and school called for us to pick him up... he went but it still counts against him.  Another day a kid hit him in the ear(he has tubes) so he was screaming in pain he still went to school but he missed most of the day so that counted.  2 were because I was 40 miles away in the hospital having our DD and he had to stay with family out of town.  Last week he missed 2 days because his lymph nodes were(still are) extremely swollen and hurting so bad he was up all night crying.  NOW Sat DD spikes a fever and is throwing up, DD 2 starts the same thing tonight... I know DS is next...  WTF am I supposed to do the school is telling me to keep him home but beware Im going to get in trouble!  Damned if ya do Damned if ya dont!  OH yeah, Aidens birthday party is this Sat.  Hope this passes quickly.

deepthinker
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM

I agree with you fully.  Keep your sick kids at home.

Schools don't fail your children or kick them out for being sick if they miss more then an alotted number of days if you have medical documentation. UNEXCUSED absences from school can cause an issue.  Also, your child's school is not a hospital, why would you send a sick child to suffer at school.  I understand people have to work, as a single parent I know that all too well.  But I also know that sending a child to school while sick, is not only dangerous to other children, but to your child as well, because during sickness your child's immune system is already compromised, and they are more susceptible to other viruses. As you said OP, a dry cough and a clear runny nose is okay.  But too many people let their children come to school beyond a normal everyday cold.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:02 AM
I feel the same way. My oldest is starting school next month and I pray he does bring home that crap.
MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:06 AM
It sounds like your kid is spreading the sickness you should take your own advice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:15 AM
My child stays home when he's sick. Always. We don't share illnesses. We have cancelled parties, play dates, etc because we SUSPECTED someone was getting sick.

We are also on a high vitamin C diet, take vitamins and do our best to sanitize stuff. But when kids come to school sick, it's hard for the whole class not to get it. One parent I KNOW for a fact is a SAHM. Yet she sends her son to school sick. He's been sent home sick no less than 3x since Halloween.

Before going to this school my kids were rarely sick! Now it seems we are catching every fucking thing!

Quoting MrsCountryMama:

It sounds like your kid is spreading the sickness you should take your own advice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:29 AM

It's not that simple. I can't keep my kids home every time they have a cough or runny nose. If they miss to many days cps is called and the school will take you to court over missed days. My son is sick right now cough and runny nose I give him meds and send him to school. If you are this worried and your child is only in preschool or daycare. You are in for a rude awakening when she goes to elementary school. 

Ecoseem
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I would love to keep my son home from daycare when he was ill, but if I did so, I'd have to call off of work, risk losing my job and then I'd have to have PA and STILL be harassed by other people. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)