Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

9 former american idol contestants file lawsuit. claim they were forced to leave because they were black

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/342095

Sorry. Mobile and no way to make it a click.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Replies (41-50):
sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I am wondering if they can come up with any other contestants (white) that were booted for reasons like theirs but didn't have it aired. I don't think Idol did things the way they did because they were black. But do I think they aired the stuff for ratings? Of course. I just don't necessarily believe it was because they were black. I mean really, look at some of the charges some of them have. You can't hide from that crap and even if Idol would have kept them on, their pasts would have been blasted whether they liked it or not. And that would have been worse for Idol and they would have been stupid to do that. I am betting there were a lot of people who didn't get to go through on Idol because of their pasts, but I am betting those people didn't try to hide it either. 

_ClearFruit_
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM
SMH
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I Auditioned for American idol 2 years ago and can assure you that the show is all "politics". What you see on tv and the "stories" you see are often scripted and you are asked to do a background check after passing the very first round of preliminary auditions. People don't understand how he audition process works. You go through 5 rounds of various auditions with producers. The celebrity judges ONLY actually judge 100 contestants, not the 17000 people that actually audition . Wayyyyyyyyyh before you make it to the celebrity judges you are screened, therefore Wayyyyyyyy before you make it to Hollywood.

What they are saying is that they were exploited for tv purposes, which thay part is true since the history was known way before even gettin to the Judges. Now whether or not they purposely exploited ONLY the black contestants? Who knows.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Quoting MamaRae85:

I don't get it. Were any of them convicted of the crimes they were arrested for? In many states, CA included, it's illegal to ask if someone was arrested, only if they were convicted. I totally think their claim that it was based on race is ridiculous, but am I wrong in thinking that AI broke the law by asking about their arrest record? I could be, I don't know for sure.

If it were illegal I wouldn't be able to get arrest records when doing background checks. 

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM
So... All of them lied about being criminals and now they are all butthurt about it?

Did they honestly think American Idol would want their winner to have a criminal history or outstanding warrants?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

If they were white with a criminal record they would have been kicked off the show too.  I am over the race card being dropped.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Ah, I looked it up, and it says they're allowed to ask about arrests that are still pending and arrests that haven't been tried yet. It sounds like all the trials hadn't happened or that there were pending arrests with those people. It doesn't seem like they don't have much of a leg to stand on. I wonder why they didn't look into it before? A few minutes of Google told me. lol

This one is more out of curiosity than anything else: If you're in CA, don't you have to get their permission to do a background check?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamaRae85:

I don't get it. Were any of them convicted of the crimes they were arrested for? In many states, CA included, it's illegal to ask if someone was arrested, only if they were convicted. I totally think their claim that it was based on race is ridiculous, but am I wrong in thinking that AI broke the law by asking about their arrest record? I could be, I don't know for sure.

If it were illegal I wouldn't be able to get arrest records when doing background checks. 

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Yup I'm sure it was cause they were black. Smh How many successful black contestants did they have all theses year and omg several of them won. But yup they were kicked off cause they were black sounds totally legit lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
viv212
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Didn't they want one girl to leave also because she had an abortion?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Most states you have to sign consent for background checks (yes, California). Usually most applications state that they are going to do them and you have to sign to consent to it. I. 

Quoting MamaRae85:

Ah, I looked it up, and it says they're allowed to ask about arrests that are still pending and arrests that haven't been tried yet. It sounds like all the trials hadn't happened or that there were pending arrests with those people. It doesn't seem like they don't have much of a leg to stand on. I wonder why they didn't look into it before? A few minutes of Google told me. lol

This one is more out of curiosity than anything else: If you're in CA, don't you have to get their permission to do a background check?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamaRae85:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)