Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOLY SMOKES! (tax refund related)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Dh and I both started college again (he's going for his masters I'm continuing to my bachelors), we bought a house this year and had a third child. We are not well off but certainly are more comfortable than others. I had no idea we'd qualify for so much with three kids, a house, and two full time students! We've never received more than 2,000 and we are getting about 6,000! Which will be used to finish paying off our last car (2,00 left!) and the rest will go in savings.

Soooo that's my brag post! YAYYYYYY!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
Momof2almost
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM
We are filing tomorrow but I don't think they are actually "filing" them until after the 31st. Last year we got back a little over $10,000 but I don't expect to get that much this year. DH was a student last year plus 2 kids and we paid in a heck of a lot. We shall see though. I think we will get around $4,000 at least, at least I hope so because we have to put a cement floor in our 2 car garage DH built in the back yard and I also have some student loans to get paid on.
GwenGray
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM

this, congrats, use it wisely like you seem to be doing. 

Quoting rebeccadac:

Congrats to your family! Sounds like you are planning to use that money wisely instead of blowing it like so many do!

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I'm married to my high school sweet heart. I plan on enlisting to the army very soon, and having more kids :)

meka26
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Quoting nirvana78028:

Is it just for full time or also for part time students?

Quoting meka26:

SO and I are both back in school and working toward our degree also. I don't know how much we're getting back. We will file Friday when SO get off work. Last year we both recieved $1,000 each for being students. It's something Obama passed. We always pay off debt with our taxes.

Both, I received it when I was a part time student.

nirvana78028
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Omgosh! You just made my day. Thank you for replying.

Quoting meka26:

Quoting nirvana78028:

Quoting meka26:

SO and I are both back in school and working toward our degree also. I don't know how much we're getting back. We will file Friday when SO get off work. Last year we both recieved $1,000 each for being students. It's something Obama passed. We always pay off debt with our taxes.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nirvana78028
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Hey, how did you get the $1000 for being a student? I'm looking and can't find that option.

Quoting meka26:

Quoting nirvana78028:

Quoting meka26:

myloves.050709
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Awesome :)

meka26
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Quoting nirvana78028:

Hey, how did you get the $1000 for being a student? I'm looking and can't find that option.

Quoting meka26:

Quoting nirvana78028:

Quoting meka26:

When I got my taxes done last year the tax preparer asked me if I was a student. I told her yes. She said college students get an extra thousand dollars added, which I received. It is something Obama passed. I heard Obama mention extending it this year. I will not know for sure until Friday when I go have my taxes done.

1RedHottMama
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I am happy for you. Good Job mama using your money wisely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM

im getting back almost 10 grand  

nirvana78028
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Oh ok. I don't think he did. I'm working on our taxes now and it's not pulling it up

Quoting meka26:

Quoting nirvana78028:

Quoting meka26:

Quoting nirvana78028:

Quoting meka26:

When I got my taxes done last year the tax preparer asked me if I was a student. I told her yes. She said college students get an extra thousand dollars added, which I received. It is something Obama passed. I heard Obama mention extending it this year. I will not know for sure until Friday when I go have my taxes done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured