Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So if you were a 80s child...what do you think of all of this technology?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 79 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think technology is moving too fast?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 62

View Results

*when i say 80's child, I mean you we're like 10-18 in the 80's*

What do you think of the world today, in general, and about the technology we have. I myself was born in 89 so idk what the 80's were like, but i miss the 90's sometimes and wish that we'd slow down on technology, that people would put down their gadgets for a day and just read a real book, sit and have verbal conversations without checking their device every 10 mins. Sometimes I think, there is NO WAY my girls are having a cell phone when they are kids, if they get a job as teens they can buy their own. I never had a cell when i was a teen, didn't have cable in my room, didn't have a lap top. My parents didn't think i needed it, and i didn't.

Idk I think life would be much different if we didn't have all these devices or contraptions to make life more convenient.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I think when technology finally crashes, we are all going to be seriously screwed because of how dependant everything is on it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

It's crazy. Next thing you know, our phones will be able to take pictures. Ha ha!

Pink.Sunshine
New Offers in Siggy Dynasty are up! Join us for 100% clean tag offers! www.cafemom.com/group/116446
Monday at 7:57 PM
by The Queen is back on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I don't

nyxiemist
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I don't like that life seems to be consumed by electronics. We have way to many because of my DH. I wish things would slow down a bit.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I like that you mentioned the books. I cannot read books electronically. I cannot process it. I have a hard enough time reading journal articles for class. I told my wife when I do my dissertation I am going to have to print everything out because I need to feel it, highlight it, sticky note it, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I'm a child of the 60's, and I embrace the technology.

I still read - but on a Kindle, infinately more convenient.  I rarely watch tv (yeah, I'm one of THOSE). I love my cell phone and laptop.  I like my automatic headlights, my Keurig coffeemaker, my washing machine with all it's sensors.  I rarely play video games, although we have 3 game systems.  My kids aren't "dependent" on technology as some are - although they grew up with cell phones and such. Well - one daughter is in college, and that IS dependent on her laptop - they rarely use actual books there anymore.

It's all about moderation.

nyxiemist
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think when technology finally crashes, we are all going to be seriously screwed because of how dependant everything is on it.

I think about this too.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM

It doesn't bother me at all... I'm well older than you OP as I was born in the 70s, but I think technology has done so much for our society as a whole. Can it be a distraction? Sure... but, lets' take a look at medicine alone- there are so many things that can be done now through technology that were not able to be done back in 1980-1985 even. Technology advances have allowed for things to be improved greatly. 

My kids are 7 and 4 and do not have cell phones, ipads, etc... my oldest has a DS that SHE paid for with her own money, she has an mp3 player ( not an ipod..but a $15 mp3 player that we bought her when she "graduated" K5) as well. My youngest has a LeapPad 2- it plays only educational games and we didn't buy it for her- her Grands did. They will not have phones until they are driving/working/etc...we see no need for them to have them as I'm a SAHM, Dh works from home and one of us is with them constantly, except at school and Church.

I want my children to understand technology. My oldest wants to be a scientist as it is her favorite thing in the world, so she will need technology. Personally, I think it can only help in the long run for my children to have a healthy knowledge, which won't be a problem since Dh is a Network Security Architect and we have a plethora of technology in the house. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

BUMP!

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM

im not talking about that tho, i'm talking about robot vacuums, cars that start themselves, cars that back up for you, i pads/ i phones/ and just stuff like that.

I agree with you that the technology used for medicine/science its astounding and helps alot. but the other stuff, for civilian everyday use...

Quoting mcginnisc:

It doesn't bother me at all... I'm well older than you OP as I was born in the 70s, but I think technology has done so much for our society as a whole. Can it be a distraction? Sure... but, lets' take a look at medicine alone- there are so many things that can be done now through technology that were not able to be done back in 1980-1985 even. Technology advances have allowed for things to be improved greatly. 

My kids are 7 and 4 and do not have cell phones, ipads, etc... my oldest has a DS that SHE paid for with her own money, she has an mp3 player ( not an ipod..but a $15 mp3 player that we bought her when she "graduated" K5) as well. My youngest has a LeapPad 2- it plays only educational games and we didn't buy it for her- her Grands did. They will not have phones until they are driving/working/etc...we see no need for them to have them as I'm a SAHM, Dh works from home and one of us is with them constantly, except at school and Church.

I want my children to understand technology. My oldest wants to be a scientist as it is her favorite thing in the world, so she will need technology. Personally, I think it can only help in the long run for my children to have a healthy knowledge, which won't be a problem since Dh is a Network Security Architect and we have a plethora of technology in the house. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN