Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So if you were a 80s child...what do you think of all of this technology?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 79 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think technology is moving too fast?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 62

View Results

*when i say 80's child, I mean you we're like 10-18 in the 80's*

What do you think of the world today, in general, and about the technology we have. I myself was born in 89 so idk what the 80's were like, but i miss the 90's sometimes and wish that we'd slow down on technology, that people would put down their gadgets for a day and just read a real book, sit and have verbal conversations without checking their device every 10 mins. Sometimes I think, there is NO WAY my girls are having a cell phone when they are kids, if they get a job as teens they can buy their own. I never had a cell when i was a teen, didn't have cable in my room, didn't have a lap top. My parents didn't think i needed it, and i didn't.

Idk I think life would be much different if we didn't have all these devices or contraptions to make life more convenient.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I think when technology finally crashes, we are all going to be seriously screwed because of how dependant everything is on it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

It's crazy. Next thing you know, our phones will be able to take pictures. Ha ha!

Pink.Sunshine
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I don't

nyxiemist
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I don't like that life seems to be consumed by electronics. We have way to many because of my DH. I wish things would slow down a bit.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I like that you mentioned the books. I cannot read books electronically. I cannot process it. I have a hard enough time reading journal articles for class. I told my wife when I do my dissertation I am going to have to print everything out because I need to feel it, highlight it, sticky note it, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I'm a child of the 60's, and I embrace the technology.

I still read - but on a Kindle, infinately more convenient.  I rarely watch tv (yeah, I'm one of THOSE). I love my cell phone and laptop.  I like my automatic headlights, my Keurig coffeemaker, my washing machine with all it's sensors.  I rarely play video games, although we have 3 game systems.  My kids aren't "dependent" on technology as some are - although they grew up with cell phones and such. Well - one daughter is in college, and that IS dependent on her laptop - they rarely use actual books there anymore.

It's all about moderation.

nyxiemist
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think when technology finally crashes, we are all going to be seriously screwed because of how dependant everything is on it.

I think about this too.

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM

It doesn't bother me at all... I'm well older than you OP as I was born in the 70s, but I think technology has done so much for our society as a whole. Can it be a distraction? Sure... but, lets' take a look at medicine alone- there are so many things that can be done now through technology that were not able to be done back in 1980-1985 even. Technology advances have allowed for things to be improved greatly. 

My kids are 7 and 4 and do not have cell phones, ipads, etc... my oldest has a DS that SHE paid for with her own money, she has an mp3 player ( not an ipod..but a $15 mp3 player that we bought her when she "graduated" K5) as well. My youngest has a LeapPad 2- it plays only educational games and we didn't buy it for her- her Grands did. They will not have phones until they are driving/working/etc...we see no need for them to have them as I'm a SAHM, Dh works from home and one of us is with them constantly, except at school and Church.

I want my children to understand technology. My oldest wants to be a scientist as it is her favorite thing in the world, so she will need technology. Personally, I think it can only help in the long run for my children to have a healthy knowledge, which won't be a problem since Dh is a Network Security Architect and we have a plethora of technology in the house. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

BUMP!

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM

im not talking about that tho, i'm talking about robot vacuums, cars that start themselves, cars that back up for you, i pads/ i phones/ and just stuff like that.

I agree with you that the technology used for medicine/science its astounding and helps alot. but the other stuff, for civilian everyday use...

Quoting mcginnisc:

It doesn't bother me at all... I'm well older than you OP as I was born in the 70s, but I think technology has done so much for our society as a whole. Can it be a distraction? Sure... but, lets' take a look at medicine alone- there are so many things that can be done now through technology that were not able to be done back in 1980-1985 even. Technology advances have allowed for things to be improved greatly. 

My kids are 7 and 4 and do not have cell phones, ipads, etc... my oldest has a DS that SHE paid for with her own money, she has an mp3 player ( not an ipod..but a $15 mp3 player that we bought her when she "graduated" K5) as well. My youngest has a LeapPad 2- it plays only educational games and we didn't buy it for her- her Grands did. They will not have phones until they are driving/working/etc...we see no need for them to have them as I'm a SAHM, Dh works from home and one of us is with them constantly, except at school and Church.

I want my children to understand technology. My oldest wants to be a scientist as it is her favorite thing in the world, so she will need technology. Personally, I think it can only help in the long run for my children to have a healthy knowledge, which won't be a problem since Dh is a Network Security Architect and we have a plethora of technology in the house. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)