Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Snow day - what does it take for your schools to close?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 88 Replies

I've been kind of surprised to see so many people having snow days. I lived in SoCal for a couple years but outside that it's always snowed where I live. Since DD has started school the ONLY time school was missed was when the power was out for several days. We have had crazy storms, icy roads (in fact... that is kind of the standard here lol), snow drifts, etc. and school doesn't get cancelled for any of it. Even if the power goes out, they have a generator and if the day is more than half over they just keep the kids. I'm in North Dakota, and I know a driving force behind this is the fact that school ends the Friday before Memorial Day weekend here. The teachers as well as the students don't want to have to come back after that to make up any missed days. I can recall only having a couple snow days growing up when I was in Michigan and Utah. We rarely got them and it had to be BAD for us to miss school.

What does it take for your school to close?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Im in MN. It would take about a foot and a half of snow and then maybe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

The Zombie Apocalypse.

Seriously, around here in Northwestern PA, they still go to school during blizzards, ice storms and floods. Sometimes there is a 'parental discretion' but they still need to send in an absentee excuse or it's counted as illegal.

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM
In NC, the threat of snow would close school for like a week
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tommyfan5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM

In Our county it takes 3-5 inches to close or even for a two hour delay

miss_lisa
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Lol that's what it is like here! There was one storm a couple years ago where they used their auto-dialer to call the parents and let them know if they wanted to pull kids out early they could. However that was after it had already dumped about 10 inches in 2-3 hours and EVERYTHING was shutting down as the storm still had a few hours to go. Most kids ended up staying though.

Quoting IhartU:

The Zombie Apocalypse.

Seriously, around here in Northwestern PA, they still go to school during blizzards, ice storms and floods. Sometimes there is a 'parental discretion' but they still need to send in an absentee excuse or it's counted as illegal.

bfountain
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

well it's closed today due to snow then to sleet then rain and finally ice.  Every monday this month school has been closed for one reason or another

bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM
In los angeles, NOTHING , EVER
TashaB82
by Tootie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM

All we need is a little ice and the whole city shuts down

FunnyKids
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I live in MD and it doesn't take much here, of course our road crews are not as good here either. If there is anything on the road or coming down and sticking and the road crews haven't dealt with it yet then school is canceled
angeleyes16
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I am in Michigan. We will get a 2 hour delay, if we got more than 6 inches of snow, and the plow trucks haven't been able to get most of the roads yet. We won't have school at all if the roads conditions are very dangerous. For instance last week we had three days of temperatures below 0. Then we got a blizzard which gave us a foot of snow. All of that snow got pressed down by cars and turned into ice. On top of the ice we got 6 more inches of snow. We didn't have school for 1 day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)