Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edit* S/O who do your kids go to if you and your DH die?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 307 Replies
DH and I can not agree on who our children will go to....

Maybe you guys can help settle the debate. DH wants his brother to get the kids I want my sister to get them.

DH brother is married with 3 kids. He is very well off and has more then enough money and room to give our children the best life possible(probably better then us financially) BUT he lives on the other side of the country and our kids haven't seen him in 2 years(he's actually never met dd) we have no other family out there.

My sister is married with 4 kids.... My kids see her at least 4 times a week and she and her husband love my kids like they are her own. We joke that we both have 6 kids because hers are mine and mine are hers. Adding two more kids to their lives would make money extremely tight but they would have all the love they could ask for.

I think it's crazy to ship to kids across the country to live with people they hardly know after losing both their parents and ripping them from any familiar face.

I forget to add we do have life insurance!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
11 moms liked this

I would want my son to be with people he knows and loves. go for the sister.

Photo: -Randi.Photo

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM

To my single childless sister and to my oldest son, together.

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
DHs sister and her husband. If they are unable then they go to DHs parents
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

For us, it was easy.  My brother.  None of my husbands family could be trusted with a pet rock.  My brother is married with 2 kids, owns his own home (and another one), and has a good job.

It's a moot point now - our youngest is 18, and a senior in high school.

ProudMomma1022
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Dh and i chose our close friends. They raise their kids simmilar to us the husband has a well paying job, the wife is very caring. It was a decision we made when i was prego with our oldest. And we will soon be writing it into a will. Just to have so no one fights over them .

As far as your situation, i think you are 'right'. Your kids know your sister better then his brother. It makes more sence.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Tough call for you all. How about asking both if they will even take the kids. If they both say yes, you're back to square one. Hmmmm
My will state my dd13, will go to one of her older sisters. Xdh not really involved in her life. Her 5 siblings will fight xdh if he tries.
ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM
My mom....of it happens after my oldest is 25 she will get her sister(there is a 15 yr age difference) my son would be an adult.

But if it happened right now it would be my mom
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea. We have NO ONE we trust to take our kids. We have my mom, but she has a lot of health issues and is on disability. I don't think she's the best option. She's the only real family my kids have. My husband's side isn't trustworthy, half are into drugs... We still talk about this issue and our oldest is almost 4. We're thinking of my half brother, but I dunno how he would feel about this. They have two kids of their own, I'm not sure how they'd feel about 3 more.

annasew
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

They go to my brother.   Money isnt an issue because my kids will be well off from trust funds and life insurance.  My bro would get monthly checks to support them the way I want them supported. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
They both said they would fight for the kids lol.... Well my bil law said it would be ok with him if my sister got them but if my other sister(who is a hot mess) even tried to get them he would fight every dime he had to get them(aww so sweet lol) my I know my sister would fight until her last breath for my babies

Quoting Anonymous:

Tough call for you all. How about asking both if they will even take the kids. If they both say yes, you're back to square one. Hmmmm

My will state my dd13, will go to one of her older sisters. Xdh not really involved in her life. Her 5 siblings will fight xdh if he tries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)