Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ADVICE FROM AN INTERIOR DESIGNER

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
1 mom liked this

I did this several months ago and had almost more responses than I could handle, so I'm offering up my services again.

I am an interior designer and if you post a picture of your problem room, I will give tips, pointers, and advice on how to decorate/organize/lay it out.

Give me all the info. you can, such as specific problems or issues you are having, budget for new pieces, personal style (contemporary, country, traditional, midcentury modern, etc.) and favorite colors.

I will be honest in my assessment of your space, but in a polite and constructive way!

11 am and I need to take a break. I will not be replying for a while but WILL get to everyone at some point today!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babygirl7161
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Mobile Photo

This is my whole downstairs in a few pics. I need ideas. More to come

I like dark colors with pops of bright accents my walls are gray and they would be darker if dh would of let me.
My kitchen i would love a color on the back wall another idea dh shot down.claiming it will look like a clown house :/ his parents walls were always all white.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babygirl7161

Mobile Photo

My kitchen isn't so bad but i need to reorganize my cabinets and I think i'll have more space. And i hate my sink placement. Its in the corner of buy the window.
babygirl7161

Mobile Photo

The back corner you can't see has just a coat closet under the stairs that is narrow and difficult to work.with no matter how i organize it. And an back bedroom that is dh mancave/ family hangout I need storage ideas/help badly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Where do you start when wanting to do a complete redesign of a room? I want to change the whole theme of my living room, but still incorporate some items, but the process is becoming overwhelming. When shopping for new decor, and starting off small, what's the best way to go about this process? Start with wall hangings? Trinkets? Paint? Where to begin?! Lol help.
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Awesome! I need help!

I have a HUGE living room. 450 sq. ft. It is long and awkward and we have no idea how to put furniture in it. My front door opens into the living room, here's a pic (these were taken when I bought the house so it's empty.):

That bookshelf is built in, we can't move it. Now, look at this picture and imagine turning around to face the opposite direction. You would see the rest of the room:

Hallway is to the left, kitchen is in the back, and there's a HUGE fireplace right in the middle of the room on the right. That little thing in the bottom left corner of this picture is that built-in bookshelf.

What on earth do we do with this space? We've never come up with an arrangement that we like, so we just kinda put furniture wherever it will fit and have left it that way because we don't know what else to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM
that's how my living room is too....its highly annoying! lol

Quoting nerdymom28:

Awesome! I need help!

I have a HUGE living room. 450 sq. ft. It is long and awkward and we have no idea how to put furniture in it. My front door opens into the living room, here's a pic (these were taken when I bought the house so it's empty.):

That bookshelf is built in, we can't move it. Now, look at this picture and imagine turning around to face the opposite direction. You would see the rest of the room:

Hallway is to the left, kitchen is in the back, and there's a HUGE fireplace right in the middle of the room on the right. That little thing in the bottom left corner of this picture is that built-in bookshelf.

What on earth do we do with this space? We've never come up with an arrangement that we like, so we just kinda put furniture wherever it will fit and have left it that way because we don't know what else to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Quoting babygirl7161:

Mobile Photo

The back corner you can't see has just a coat closet under the stairs that is narrow and difficult to work.with no matter how i organize it. And an back bedroom that is dh mancave/ family hangout I need storage ideas/help badly.

You have a terrific space full of potential! The floors are gorgeous! Is your fireplace non-functioning? My first thought is to paint it to brighten and update the whole living room. Most people think about painting brick fireplaces white, but I see very little white in your home, so I would go with a light to medium taupe, grey, or beige color. I can't tell whether you have an area rug or not, but when floating a sectional in the center of the room like this, you really need one. You can pull accent colors from the area rug and/or art in the form of toss pillows for the sofa.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Quoting babygirl7161:

Mobile Photo

My kitchen isn't so bad but i need to reorganize my cabinets and I think i'll have more space. And i hate my sink placement. Its in the corner of buy the window.

You mention doing a color on the back wall. I would avoid this. Accent walls are on the way "out" and they are very difficult to do properly. If you want to differentiate your open kitchen from the adjacent room(s), my suggestion is to use the same color of paint, but in a darker or lighter shade. You would get the paint strip from the paint store and go up or down on it to the next (or even 2 apart) color. I would remove everything from the very tops of the cabinets for a clean, streamlined look. I agree the sink placement is a bit strange, stuck back in the corner like that! Is there anywhere you could relocate the washer/dryer to so it's out of the kitchen? A closet in your dh's mancave, maybe? Then your fridge could go there and at least you wouldn't be confined back behind it in its current location. Otherwise, to replumb for a sink in a new location could become pretty costly. I'd rather see that money spent to get the w/d out of the kitchen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Excuse the mess, DH was up all night and apparently has no idea how to pick up after himself. As you can tell, my issue is a lack of space. We're planning on getting rid of the desktop and the desk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Quoting babygirl7161:

Mobile Photo

What do you need to store in the mancave room? Can I see a pic of it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN