Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tea cup chihuahuas???

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 128 Replies
What are your opinions? I want one so bad! I have a smaller house so it would be more practical to have a smal dog like this and they're so stinkin cute.

My apologies for calling it a tea cup chi...didn't realize so many of you would get defensive about this term!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelisaAnderson
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I bought one that ended up not being a teacup, he is 6.5 pounds... He is a great dog!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I hate small dogs!
my_babies_n_me
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I read somewhere that dogs that are described as "tea cup" are so small because of previous generations malnourishment and bad genetics. I can't remember where I read it, but it also said they are more prone to have health issues. I might not be remembering all that right, but I would definitely research that side of it before getting one.
kolbiesmommy
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
How is he with your child/children?

Quoting MelisaAnderson:

I bought one that ended up not being a teacup, he is 6.5 pounds... He is a great dog!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
there is no such thing as a teacup chihuahua, research what it is and you shall find out!

Pretty much someone breeds the 2 smallest dogs they have to have a tiny chihuahua. Then they classify it as tea cup and jack up the price, but its still a chihuahua!
superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

there is no such thing as a teacup chi's as they are called.  chi's are chis no matter what.  I am so sick of people saying they have a teacup chi when they dont.  I raise chis and I love them and in no way would I ever "advertise" them as a teacup chi.  

kolbiesmommy
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Interesting! I will be looking into that aspect. Thank you.

Quoting my_babies_n_me:

I read somewhere that dogs that are described as "tea cup" are so small because of previous generations malnourishment and bad genetics. I can't remember where I read it, but it also said they are more prone to have health issues. I might not be remembering all that right, but I would definitely research that side of it before getting one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
3 moms liked this

There is no such thing as a 'tea cup' chihuahua. It's just the way they are bred, two small Chihuahua's, good genes, etc. It's just a term breeders use to make more money.

We have a chihuahua and love him very much. Make sure it gets a lot of socialization right away and throughout it's young life, or you will have a little psycho when it comes to strangers and other animals. Let it meet lots of different people, and go lots of different places, put it on lots of different textures, etc. Be very on top of potty training! Start with going outside not puppy pads.

MelisaAnderson
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
He is great, he absolutely adores my youngest. I believe she is his favorite! He isn't a yapper or a licker. He loves to play fetch and to hang out laying on the couch.
kolbiesmommy
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Ok sorry.

Quoting Anonymous:

there is no such thing as a teacup chihuahua, research what it is and you shall find out!

Pretty much someone breeds the 2 smallest dogs they have to have a tiny chihuahua. Then they classify it as tea cup and jack up the price, but its still a chihuahua!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN