Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

moms who ride and have horses ~ Question!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

i got a text last night that a neighbors DD had bought herself a horse and was looking for a saddle.

i just so happen to have a saddle, and no horse. i doubt i will have a horse again anytime soon.

but......her dad hurt his back and since he was self employed and did not pay into the EI fund.....no EI. her mom works though, but they are probably a bit tight right now......this saddle is all leather, very very comfortable, and from the 70's.  it is in wonderful condition, i kinda of really love this saddle.

but it just collecting dust. and it should be used. 

too determine its worth i went on kijijisaskatchewan, clicked on the pets section, and typed in saddle in the search box. 

saddles like this one are going from about $400 - $2,000

i wouldnt want to sell it to her for that much. shes just a kid, first horse......so.......help me figure out a price ladies.

as i said, made in the 70's. so a bit worn. 

i dont know. what do ya say girls?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM

You can find a saddle for $2,000 just like you can find a shirt for $2000. Does mean it has to cost that much to be worth it and doesn't make it better. My husband spent half his working life working with horses, you can find a great saddle for under $500, you can find a kids starter saddle that is comfortable for child and for horse for well under $300. Some of the best saddles that he used were bought for $50 off of craigslist or from other farms. After 30+ years of use, that saddle is not going to be in a great condition, its worn, which means the interior is also worn. You asked how much it is worth and how much you should ask for, I gave my opinion. You said yourself that the extent of your research has been looking on some craigslist knockoff website.

Quoting D.O.E.:

no. just no. there are saddles, and then there are Quality Saddles. 

you get what you pay for.  worn and old have nothing to do with usability and comfort for both animal and person, unless of course you buy a saddle for $300 brand new. 

Quoting LucyHarper:

You can get a saddle of that style brand new for under $300. Considering it is so worn and old, I wouldn't charge over $100.

Mouse Over Main Image to Zoom
15Send to a Friend    
In Stock
Item Number: bi2182
Reg Price:$1,837.80
Sale Price:$1,531.50

now THAT is a comparable saddle. 

fanci64
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM

That is a beautiful saddle, I wouldn't sell it for anything less than what it's worth. That saddle is worth at least $1000.00 and I wouldn't sell it for any less.  Tell them to look into the local 4- H groups, you can always find a good first saddle at a great price if not free. That's to much saddle for a kid anyway. If you want to sell that saddle their are plenty of websites to put it on and get what it's worth. I would put it on a Rodeo site, or a roping site, since its a roping saddle.

D.O.E.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM

yes this is an option as well

Quoting Anonymous:

What about a "rent-to-own" type of option?  Keep the saddle at your house but have her pay a reasonable amount to use it - whether in money or help around the house.  When she has worked hard at some point give it to her.  It is teaching her the responsibility and cost of ownership of a horse while still keeping it within her grasp.

D.O.E.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM

yes it is. when i bought my horse, Ecko, i brought the saddle with me, and the old guy i bought Ecko from valued it around $800.

Quoting fanci64:

That is a beautiful saddle, I wouldn't sell it for anything less than what it's worth. That saddle is worth at least $1000.00 and I wouldn't sell it for any less.  Tell them to look into the local 4- H groups, you can always find a good first saddle at a great price if not free. That's to much saddle for a kid anyway. If you want to sell that saddle their are plenty of websites to put it on and get what it's worth. I would put it on a Rodeo site, or a roping site, since its a roping saddle.

D.O.E.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM

we will agree to disagree on this one. and kijiji is the canadian version, we also have craplist. 

just nobody uses it.

i was looking on there to see what saddles are going for used these days. i know what the saddle is worth. i have had it for years. 

and yes some of the best saddles come from nieghbors and friends, and are old and used and perfectly broken in. 

Quoting LucyHarper:

You can find a saddle for $2,000 just like you can find a shirt for $2000. Does mean it has to cost that much to be worth it and doesn't make it better. My husband spent half his working life working with horses, you can find a great saddle for under $500, you can find a kids starter saddle that is comfortable for child and for horse for well under $300. Some of the best saddles that he used were bought for $50 off of craigslist or from other farms. After 30+ years of use, that saddle is not going to be in a great condition, its worn, which means the interior is also worn. You asked how much it is worth and how much you should ask for, I gave my opinion. You said yourself that the extent of your research has been looking on some craigslist knockoff website.

Quoting D.O.E.:

no. just no. there are saddles, and then there are Quality Saddles. 

you get what you pay for.  worn and old have nothing to do with usability and comfort for both animal and person, unless of course you buy a saddle for $300 brand new. 

Quoting LucyHarper:

You can get a saddle of that style brand new for under $300. Considering it is so worn and old, I wouldn't charge over $100.

Mouse Over Main Image to Zoom
15Send to a Friend    
In Stock
Item Number: bi2182
Reg Price:$1,837.80
Sale Price:$1,531.50

now THAT is a comparable saddle. 

curlycupcake
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I've seen similar saddles on resale at the tack store for $300-500.
Considering a new saddle starts around $2000 It's a good deal.
I'd let her try it out on the horse first. Saddles gave changed a lot since the 70's. they have flexible trees which is so much better for the horses back. Y'all need to make sure it fits the horse & rider well. The tack store near home lets you take them for two weeks before you have to pay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluvsn85
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I would say $300.00. If thats too much they should try actions. Sometimes you can get a good deal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
She needs to be sure to try saddles on the horse and not just plop one on it. With that saddle being so old, im sure the padding is dull. Shell need to check pressure points and such with it to see if itll even work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama4
by Loree on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM
What brand?

You could do a price and also some labor to round it out.

Unless there is a name, two hundred is good. Because you love it doesn't make the price go up.

It looks heavy too! not a good option for a child but bareback is!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
truelove813
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I have saddles collecting dust as well, but I have no idea what I could sell them for. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN