Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms who ride and have horses ~ Question!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

i got a text last night that a neighbors DD had bought herself a horse and was looking for a saddle.

i just so happen to have a saddle, and no horse. i doubt i will have a horse again anytime soon.

but......her dad hurt his back and since he was self employed and did not pay into the EI fund.....no EI. her mom works though, but they are probably a bit tight right now......this saddle is all leather, very very comfortable, and from the 70's.  it is in wonderful condition, i kinda of really love this saddle.

but it just collecting dust. and it should be used. 

too determine its worth i went on kijijisaskatchewan, clicked on the pets section, and typed in saddle in the search box. 

saddles like this one are going from about $400 - $2,000

i wouldnt want to sell it to her for that much. shes just a kid, first horse......so.......help me figure out a price ladies.

as i said, made in the 70's. so a bit worn. 

i dont know. what do ya say girls?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (21-27):
StarryRain
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Loving and owning horses is a lifestyle, not a hobby. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raye-chan
by Raye on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Let her try the saddle out first. That way she can see if it's something that works for both her and the horse. If it does, I'd put the price at $300 and see if she'd bargain it down some. Horses are very expensive, like you said, so she needs to learn that responsibility of taking care of one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM

yeah thats what i was thinking too, have her sit on it and make sure she fits it, then make sure it fits the horse. not sure what kind of horse she got but probably a quarter horse, in which case it will fit nicely. she will need a new saddle pad though, my dog has been sleeping on mine lol

Quoting curlycupcake:

I've seen similar saddles on resale at the tack store for $300-500.
Considering a new saddle starts around $2000 It's a good deal.
I'd let her try it out on the horse first. Saddles gave changed a lot since the 70's. they have flexible trees which is so much better for the horses back. Y'all need to make sure it fits the horse & rider well. The tack store near home lets you take them for two weeks before you have to pay.

D.O.E.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM

she is 14. right now, its a hobby, but i agree that it is lifestyle and a very expensive one at that!

Quoting StarryRain:

D.O.E.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM

you think it would be too big for her? she is 14 and skinnier than me but about my size. a good 50 lbs less though, lol we will have to see lol

Quoting fanci64:

That is a beautiful saddle, I wouldn't sell it for anything less than what it's worth. That saddle is worth at least $1000.00 and I wouldn't sell it for any less.  Tell them to look into the local 4- H groups, you can always find a good first saddle at a great price if not free. That's to much saddle for a kid anyway. If you want to sell that saddle their are plenty of websites to put it on and get what it's worth. I would put it on a Rodeo site, or a roping site, since its a roping saddle.

StarryRain
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I grew up the adopted youngest in a family that owned Tennessee Walking Horses, and a couple of Chincoteagues, and boarded for friends. I don't have the land or time yet, but I will own horses again. I can't wait. I was riding with my sister before I could even walk, and I haven't ridden in two years... *sob*

Quoting D.O.E.:

she is 14. right now, its a hobby, but i agree that it is lifestyle and a very expensive one at that!

Quoting StarryRain:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:08 PM

its been about that long for me too, last time i was on a horse i was 6 mo regnant and the horse got spooked by a dog who attacked his feet, i damn near lost my seat.

and after that, he threw the next person that got on him. there was nothing much i could do at the time to curb the behavior so i ended up selling him. :-(

he was gorgeous though, this is my fil on Ecko

Quoting StarryRain:

I grew up the adopted youngest in a family that owned Tennessee Walking Horses, and a couple of Chincoteagues, and boarded for friends. I don't have the land or time yet, but I will own horses again. I can't wait. I was riding with my sister before I could even walk, and I haven't ridden in two years... *sob*

Quoting D.O.E.:

Quoting StarryRain:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured