Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried something is wrong

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

I'm posting anon because I don't want this to be out on the internet forever.  It's not because I'm ashamed, I just don't want my son coming across it some day.  

I have a 15 month old son.  I am worried about his development.  His doctor said he isn't too concerned right now, but he will keep a closer watch on his development at his 18 month appointment.  DH doesn't seem concerned at all, which does piss me off sometimes.  

My son doesn't do a lot of things kids his age do.  I take him to a playgroup, and he is the only kid that can't sit still for story time.  He will wiggle out of my lap, and run off to play.  There are kids his age and younger that can sit through an entire story.  He doesn't sit through stories at home, either.  He'll constantly close the book, or take it and run.  He would rather play by himself then with other kids at playgroup.  He will try to interact with other kids sometimes, but they always shove him away (literally sometimes).  He doesn't cry,  he just moves along to do his own thing. 

There are things he could do before, that he can't do now.  He used to give kisses, but now he doesn't know how.  When he was around 9 months old, we could say "kiss", and he'd kiss your cheek (well, put his open mouth to your cheek, but you get the idea).  He just stopped doing it one day, and hasn't done it since.  He used to mimic us making clicking sounds with our tongue, but that stopped all of a sudden, and he won't do it anymore.  He used to say, "dog" (came out "daw", but he would say it when he saw our dog or a picture of a dog), and that stopped.  He was saying "up" for literally one day, and won't do it anymore.  He can say "mama" and "dada", but he doesn't necessarily associate those words with us.  He does sometimes, and other times he just says them randomly, like "mamamamama" or "dadadadada".  Other then that, he doesn't talk.  He babbles a lot, though, just nothing we can really understand yet.

He doesn't point yet, or even motion toward something he wants.  He just whines until we figure it out.  Changing his diaper and clothing is a massive hassle all of a sudden.  He wants to constantly turn over to his belly.  I am thinking I might need to get rid of the changing table, I'm afraid he'll fall, even though I never leave him on it unattended.  He's very strong and hard to control at times.  He's hurt himself by flailing around on the table, and I was trying to contain him . He whipped his head back, and hit it on the wood.  I felt so bad, but it wasn't my fault.  :(  He just can't calm down.  He has to ALWAYS be moving.  We can't hold him for long periods of time, he'll just wiggle out of our arms.  Even when he is bawling, and is holding his arms up or tugging at my pants, I pick him up, and he wants right back down, and the bawling/tantrum continues.

He can walk and run very well.  He was an early walker.  He can eat with his fingers very well, and drink from a sippy.  Hasn't figured out the spoon, he always throws it onto the floor.  Oh, he also does things repeatedly, even if he's gotten hurt doing them before.  He has pulled the dining room chair on top of himself twice, and almost a few more times, but I've always caught him before it happened.  The first two times, DH was "watching" him.  He constantly messes with the blinds to the sliding door, and will pull them off one by one.  You can't reattach them, you have to buy new ones, because he rips the top part.  We have scolded him for months to leave the blinds alone, but he won't.  I keep a baby gate up to keep him out of the kitchen/dining room, but sometimes, I have to let him run free, because he won't stop crying until I do.  

Sorry this was so long.  I'm sure there are details I forgot about.  Does this seem normal for a 15 month old?  Anyone else have a child like this, and they turned out fine?  He is my first child, so I really don't know what to expect.  I'm just concerned because his doctor showed concern.  I really hope my son is okay, and will catch up in the next few months.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KelissaMaye
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM
It sounds to me like something could be wrong, but I dunno, so here's a bump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Sounds exactly, almost word for word, like my 15 month old. I think it is normal, although I am starting to be concerned about the talking issue, everyone else says it is no big deal and he will talk when he is ready
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM

To me he sounds like a busy toddler.  Not sitting still for a story at his age is quite normal.  He is still more baby than toddler. The continuing to do stuff even after hurting himself is normal too. Not all kids remember the lesson of the owie and the fascination of the item is to much of a draw. The not pointing could be an issue but not necessarily. Just play games with him and get him to point. For example, do shorter story times, just you and him and you point at the picture and say its name. Or play point to your nose and say beep beep or play a game where he has to point. If you play it with him, he will get into it as well.  Play with him and talk, and read and play. It is the best thing for him.  

When you go out on a walk and see a tree point to the tree and say look at the tree or the fence or that red door and say look (son's name) can you point a tree?  Just make it a game not a lesson if that makes sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured