Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is $75.00 a week asking too much?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 33 Replies

Ok, so me and dh tend to be every one's "fall back" on people. We are pretty much the only one of our friends who have our own place and both of us have huge hearts and hate seeing people out on their luck. So whether its friends or family, every one knows when they get into some shit they always have a warm bed at our house. No matter how many times we get screwed over in the process. Its just us, we cant help it. In over 7 years we have been married we have boarded a countless number of friends and family over the years. Some multiple times.

Anywho, our friends who got into some financial trouble over the past few months - she quit her job due to harassment and then got denied unemployment - will be pad locked out due to back rent owed - is now working but can not come up with the back rent and need time to save up for her own place.

I know the story of the harassment at her job, it was awful and I do not blame her for quitting. I also advised her to take them to court. She has an abundance of evidence that the harassment made a hostile working envirement and all her attempts to remedy the issues with HR went ignored.

So they are gettign locked out. OK I will not let our friends be out on the street. But i will also not let them live for free. We pay our own utilities, food, toiletries. These will all be extra expenses.

So we are asking $75 a week from them to help out with the additional expenses. $25 each for the additional hot water and $25 combined for the additional food expenses.

Do you think that is reasonable. I know they are trying to save for a new place. Shes only making $12.50 an hour. But the way i figure taxes are around the corner, they will prob use that money to get their new place. Plus $300 total for the month is far less then what a rented room would charge with all the exrta amenities like hot cooked meals, that a rented room Will not provide.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
finnbar
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I think charging $75 is more than generous. it will help everybody avoid resentment. Your friends can maintain their dignity.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM

They can't expect to stay there for free. The amount you are asking is very reasonable.

On another note..... is she going to sue the former employer. If she has substantial evidence she should talk to a lawyer at least 

Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

i think that is VERY reasonable. i dont imagine them having a problem with it. 

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

75 is fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Sounds good to me. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I think it is reasonable

LovelyMommy24
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM
That sounds good to me! You and your dh sound like very good people. :)
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM
$75 seems reasonable to me. When I lived with my friend, I paid her $200/month(me and my 2 boys); and also provided half the food and helped with cooking and cleaning.
piratehooker
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
If you can afford it, let them stay for free. For a month or two.
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM

i first thought it said $750 a week... lol

thats more than enough....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)