Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Age difference relationships.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Who has the biggest age difference here between them and their SO/DH?

Who would never date/marry someone with a huge age difference like 10+ years or more. Who would be ok with that?

what are the pittfalls? what are the good parts?

I ask because a friend of mine says her father (in his 40s) has been talking to a girl our age (22ish-23ish) and I would like to think I am pretty open minded and wouldnt mind dating a man in his mid to early 30's...but I think it would be strange (for me anyway) to start a relationship with someone within a 5 yr age difference from my parents (older or younger) KWIM?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM
My DH is 14 years older than I am. He has a daughter that is only 3 years younger than me.

My bio mom is only a year older than my DH - but I was adopted so it doesn't bother me.

I often forget that there is a big age difference between us.

Age is just a number
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Older men aren't my thing. At all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Muffins89
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I personally wouldn't date someone 10yrs or older than me (or younger for that matter but is go to jail for that ha) I just think it's weird to me but a lot of people are comfortable with it my mom and step dad are 10 years and I'm fine with that never had any issue, but my uncle is dating a girl 16 years younger than him (he's almost 40 and she's almost 21) THAT I find gross. His gf is only a few years older than his daughter and is the same age as my youngest sister. I don't think it would be so weird though as long as the person you are dating isn't closer to one of your parents (or children's) age than they are to your own. That's probably the biggest thing. But I'm pretty open minded, after all you cant always help who you fall for.
s.osborne
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I've never imagined myself with a super older guy, but I do have a friend my age who married a guy 11 years older and they're great. I'm with a guy almost 4 years younger now and he's the one soooo I guess I'll never know lol

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

My husband is 4 years older than me. 

Several years ago, I was in a FWB type relationship with a man 14 years older than me. I would have dated him if not for other circumstances that always got in the way. 

mackiebugsmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Dh is only 6 months older than me but I was in a relationship with someone 15 years older than me, it wasn't much different because I was mature and he was incredibly immature so our age just evened it out..
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My late husband was twice my age.   I married at 16 and he was 33 after dating 2 years.   He died at 48 of a heart attack, so I became a single mom.   My current husband is 3 months older than me and I would have NEVER married someone that much older again.

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
ITA.

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

My dh is only five years older than me. To date someone who's close to my fathers age would creep me out.
That's just me though.
jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM
DH is just a day shy of being 5 years older
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I just think it would be strange like in this case to date someone old enough to be your dad like I mean someone super close to your parents age...it would be strange to me to be with someone so much older when you think of the fact you would then be caring for your SO/DH and parents...or a widow so young...and that they could relate more with your parents then with you.

Quoting LoriLou75:

My dh is 10 years older. We met when I was 30, he was 40. It's not a big deal at all when you are an adult.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)