Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Age difference relationships.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Who has the biggest age difference here between them and their SO/DH?

Who would never date/marry someone with a huge age difference like 10+ years or more. Who would be ok with that?

what are the pittfalls? what are the good parts?

I ask because a friend of mine says her father (in his 40s) has been talking to a girl our age (22ish-23ish) and I would like to think I am pretty open minded and wouldnt mind dating a man in his mid to early 30's...but I think it would be strange (for me anyway) to start a relationship with someone within a 5 yr age difference from my parents (older or younger) KWIM?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Replies (31-40):
HouseKatof2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM

My husband is almost 15 years older than me. He is 8 years younger than my dad & was 7 years younger than my mom.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I totally agree which is why I had to ask if I was the only one who found it kinda strange.

The girl is a year older then my friend it would be strange for me if my parents dated someone so close to my age and not theirs...or for me to date someone so close to my parents age...but thats just me..

Quoting Muffins89:

I personally wouldn't date someone 10yrs or older than me (or younger for that matter but is go to jail for that ha) I just think it's weird to me but a lot of people are comfortable with it my mom and step dad are 10 years and I'm fine with that never had any issue, but my uncle is dating a girl 16 years younger than him (he's almost 40 and she's almost 21) THAT I find gross. His gf is only a few years older than his daughter and is the same age as my youngest sister. I don't think it would be so weird though as long as the person you are dating isn't closer to one of your parents (or children's) age than they are to your own. That's probably the biggest thing. But I'm pretty open minded, after all you cant always help who you fall for.

Aludaru
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM
My husband is 8 years younger than me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
surromama
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM
My ex was 13 years older, didn't really notice the age difference. I always liked older guys. After we divorced I started dating a guy 11 years younger not thinking it would go anywhere, we've been together 8 years. I do notice an age difference, some things bother me, but its a trade off for the great things. There is a 24 year age difference between both husbands, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M.I.A...P.O.W
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM

there is an 18 year age difference (him being older) between me and my SO. It would be strange for me to date someone closer to my age because that is something I have never really done. I am with my best friend now and that makes it so much better. We have a lot in common and we just click so well with each other.

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Dh is only 7 years older than me. I would date someone way older if I met them and liked them.
LovelyMommy24
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM

LOL! I was trying to figure it out.. I like that. :D 

Quoting RaynesMommy07:

I totally agree.

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

ITA?

Quoting RaynesMommy07:

ITA.

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

My dh is only five years older than me. To date someone who's close to my fathers age would creep me out.

That's just me though.

Caylin.Momma28
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM

im 21 and hubby is 29 so 8 years ;)

Muffins89
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Exactly, I mean dating older people is fine, my fiancé is 3 1/2 years older than me and I dated a guy a little older than that once, but that was awkward for me. I don't think I could handle dating someone that my mom could potentially date. Nor would I want to. If I can't handle 5-6 years I def can't handle 15-20 years lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I totally agree which is why I had to ask if I was the only one who found it kinda strange.

The girl is a year older then my friend it would be strange for me if my parents dated someone so close to my age and not theirs...or for me to date someone so close to my parents age...but thats just me..

Quoting Muffins89:

I personally wouldn't date someone 10yrs or older than me (or younger for that matter but is go to jail for that ha) I just think it's weird to me but a lot of people are comfortable with it my mom and step dad are 10 years and I'm fine with that never had any issue, but my uncle is dating a girl 16 years younger than him (he's almost 40 and she's almost 21) THAT I find gross. His gf is only a few years older than his daughter and is the same age as my youngest sister. I don't think it would be so weird though as long as the person you are dating isn't closer to one of your parents (or children's) age than they are to your own. That's probably the biggest thing. But I'm pretty open minded, after all you cant always help who you fall for.

xxjadedhaloxx
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM

DH is 3 years older than me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)