Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School wants son tested for ADHD

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son just turned 8 years old in January. He has issues behaving at school. The majority of the time it is for talking in classor getting up hout of his seat. Lately he has been falling asleep in class (I send him to bed at 9 PM No TV in his room or anything) He does have days where he is fine. Others he is not. The problems are ONLY at sxhool. At home he is perfectly fine.

Now the teacher wants him tested for ADHD. I want his IQ tested because I feel he is bored. School has ALWAYS bored him. ALWAYS. He falls asleep in class yet he has been a consistant straight A student. He reads on a 5th grade level and love computers. Which way would you all go with this? IQ or ADHD? I will be talking with his pedi today. 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JadeStorm
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM

BUMP!

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Go both. A child can have a high IQ and still have ADHD. The high IQ would explain the boredom, but not the getting up out of his seat... if he is 8, he is old enough to know that he needs to stay seated in class. He might not be able to help getting up and moving around. My oldest is 10 and does the same thing. We just started him on medication for ADHD and it is already helping a great deal.

JadeStorm
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Both. Remember, you are with him everyday so his behavioris normal to you. At home, kids don't normally have to sit in one place and concentrate on the teacher. Several ADHD students are also gifted, so there is a possibility he could be both.

JadeStorm
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM

BUMP!

JNLmomme09
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM

IMO  ADHD is so quickly diagnosted in children today.  When we were kids you never heard of such a thing. I think that you should definitely have his IQ tested but I believe with other kids of activity  like sports, dance, swim, fun activites then a child has a healthy way to get those jitters out.  Kids need healthy hobbies I think in a group setting. As adults I dont care what profession  you end up in  you have to work with others. These are great ways to start teaching those tools. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Test for both...It may not be ADHD, could be something else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN