There are over 550,000 children in foster care in the United States.
Children of color outnumber white children in foster care. Of the children in foster care:
- 39% were Black non-Hispanic;
- 34% were White non-Hispanic;
- 17% were Hispanic;
- 2% were American Indian/Alaskan Native;
- 1% Asian/Pacific Islander; and
- 7% were of unknown or other racial/ethnic background.
The average (mean) age of children in foster care was 9.9 years. The average (mean) length of time that children had been in foster care was 32 months.
The United States Department of Health and Human Services estimates that as many as 127,000 children in foster care needed adoptive families. The ethnic backgrounds of these children are as follows:
- 42% were African American
- 32% were White
- 15% were Hispanic
- 1% were Native American/Alaskan Native
- 1% were Asian/Pacific Islander
- 8% were of unknown/unable to determine ethnic backgrounds
The average mean age of children waiting to be adopted is 7.9 years. More than 70% of the children are under the age of 11.
The mean length of time that these children have been in foster care is 44 months.
This being said, can I ask WHY people who are against abortion always use the "give the baby up for adoption" arguement when their are already plenty of kids waiting to be adopted? why add to that number?
I am pro choice, but I just hate when a prolifer uses this arguement about people waiting to adopt and to give the baby up for adoption to one of those couples when there is already a bunch of children waiting on a home.