Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you smoke cigarettes

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you realize how nasty and stinky you surely are? Does your s/o smoke too? If not are they turned off by your smell?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Its illegal to smoke in public where I live and most work places have put a ban on smelling like smoke or even smoking while you are at work. in fact my Dh work place is  very strict you may not smoke at any point during your work day even while on a break if you smell like smoke you will get  sent home with your one and only warning after that termination they gave a 6 month notice that this was taking place they offered free counseling and any treatments to help them quite such as patches gum ect .I think its wonderful .who wants to be helped by a smoke stack .

Quoting Anonymous:

It is here, as well. However, it isn't illegal to smell like smoke. I agree with not being able to smoke in any public place, I don't like smelling smoke either. Most smokers I know agree with not being able to smoke in public.

I'm just saying, if someone smells like smoke, it isn't that big a deal. You can move away from them, if it bothers you.

Quoting April620:

Actually in my state it is illegal to smoke in public places.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then breathe out of your mouth when you're around smokers? I'm an ex smoker and yes, it does stink but it isn't the end of the world like a lot of people think. A smoker has the right to smoke, just like you have the right not to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

yes I do (well stinky yes, nasty, no) and my DH smokes too so we both smell like an ashtray - it is a filthy habit, one that we are both trying to break

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I've read about things like this... and I hope they put a stop to it very soon. I can understand not smoking in public but how does a workplace have any right to say what a person can't do on their own time, as long as it is LEGAL and doesn't cloud judgement (such as drinking alcohol on break would). I can see not wanting to be helped by someone with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth... but what a person does on their time, is their business.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its illegal to smoke in public where I live and most work places have put a ban on smelling like smoke or even smoking while you are at work. in fact my Dh work place is  very strict you may not smoke at any point during your work day even while on a break if you smell like smoke you will get  sent home with your one and only warning after that termination they gave a 6 month notice that this was taking place they offered free counseling and any treatments to help them quite such as patches gum ect .I think its wonderful .who wants to be helped by a smoke stack .

Quoting Anonymous:

It is here, as well. However, it isn't illegal to smell like smoke. I agree with not being able to smoke in any public place, I don't like smelling smoke either. Most smokers I know agree with not being able to smoke in public.

I'm just saying, if someone smells like smoke, it isn't that big a deal. You can move away from them, if it bothers you.

Quoting April620:

Quoting Anonymous:

Then breathe out of your mouth when you're around smokers? I'm an ex smoker and yes, it does stink but it isn't the end of the world like a lot of people think. A smoker has the right to smoke, just like you have the right not to.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a former smoker and DH hated it, which just showed me how much he loved me if he put up with it for like 8 years.
I've been smoke-free for 10 years now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm an ex smoker, up until I quit I didn't realize how awful it really smells! When my ds goes out to smoke, (he's 22), I can smell him come back in the door from across the house! It's funny now that I don't smoke, wehn I smell a cigarette burning I like that smell, it's the after smell that stinks.

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Some people like the smell of cigarettes. But usually smokers don't have a good idea of what they smell like - their sense of taste and smell are greatly diminished and they are very used to the presence of cigarette smoke. If they ever quit, they usually grow increasingly aware of the smell.

What really turns me off are rude strangers who make nasty comments about smokers - what does it accomplish besides trying to make someone else feel badly? Do they really think that they are going to encourage someone to quit smoking? As if it were that easy.

BabyFruit Ticker
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Well personally I think its great 1st off they have a right to say to look presentable at work then they have a right to say smell presentable at work  if you cant smell like BO then you shouldn't be able smell like smoke either . They are just as stick with no tattoos no unnatural hair color so its not just targeted at smokers just part of a overall scheme of if you want to work here you will follow our rules  as far as dress and hygiene if not you can go .
 Plenty of people will be happy to comply  .I think its great also that they gave a 6 months heads up they didn't have to and they didn't have to cover the cost of any stop smoking treatments but this is a major company and that was far and above very  generous.And also  I really shows they value their employees and want them healthy as much as possible they also pay for free gym membeship and give a discount off there heath ins if you attend 6 times amonth or more .

Quoting Anonymous:

I've read about things like this... and I hope they put a stop to it very soon. I can understand not smoking in public but how does a workplace have any right to say what a person can't do on their own time, as long as it is LEGAL and doesn't cloud judgement (such as drinking alcohol on break would). I can see not wanting to be helped by someone with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth... but what a person does on their time, is their business.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting April620:

Quoting Anonymous:

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If you smoke, you smell like a stale cigarette. The smell clings to your clothes (even if you smoke outside) and your fingers (and no, washing does not take it completely away).  Sure, it's legal to smoke, go right ahead, but don't kid yourselves into thinking you don't stink. You do.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
And who says its "stinky"? I like the smell of smoke....people have different opinions.

I smoke, and I'm sure I do smell like cigarettes. I also couldn't care less whether or not some stranger approves of the way I smell. I don't do things to accommodate other people, particularly those I don't know. Someone doesn't like it? I don't care.

Yes, DH smokes too so obviously neither of us care about the others cigarette smell.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM
If I'm not smoking around you what does it matter? However I am conscious that some kids may have asthma so I try not to stand near kids after smoking. To be honest, if I knew you, I'd probably smoke more just to keep you away from me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)