Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So I lost my 'job' today

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

Lost my job today, if that is what you want to call it. I was babysitting my step sister in law's 2 1/2 year old daughter for 3 1/3- 4 hours daily. Charged $10 for that. And from 3:30- 6, I would watch the daughter and the 6 year old son- even drove them home with me to watch till she got off work (she lives right down the hill from me). Charged her only $10 then. On the days I didnt bring them home with me, I just charged for babysitting the girl. That usually comes out to $280 a month, at the most.

Now she is complaining that I charge too much- that I am being greedy. That I should be willing to charge less because I am not babysitting all day. So here is her new solution to her childcare woes- she is gonna ask MIL to babysit the son from the time he gets off the bus till she picks him up- for free. And she has allowed her daughter's daddy to come and get her- and now she is gone to another state till August, when she starts Headstart. (I wonder how DHR will feel about that...)

Here is where I get mad at. What if the girl gets sick? We already had to cancel 3 doc appointments, all her speech therapy she was in, 2 dentist appointments, and a surgery to get tubes put in her ears. Every time she has gone to her daddy's family for more than a week, she comes back having forgotten about her potty training (they still put her in diapers, not pull ups or training panties). She isnt talking much, her vocabulary is only 10 words, but after she visits the family over there, she takes 3 weeks to get back to where she was before.

Then the woman had the nerve to send this to me (word for word): "I hope you dont ever need me to babysit. I wont do it anyway. Which you wont because you are too stupid to hold a job down. You couldnt cut it at Subway, you wont cut it as a mother."  So I sent back, "At least my child will be more important than my job. And the reason why I dont have a job- babysitting your needy children takes all my energy and time. And you have no right to comment on how I will be as a mother. You routinely let your children stay sick without going to the doc because you work all the time. We had to cancel her last 2 surgeries because you had scheduled YOUR dentist appointments those same days. K (MIL) is so stressed- and you want to add more stress to her already. She is too old to raise any more children- but she is raising yours. You dont work with D (daughter)  speech- and your son is in danger of failing kindergarten because you dont help him at home. Their meals consists of McDonald's and frozen waffles. Dont judge my parenting skills- look to your own house first."

I know, I am complaining, but I am tired. No sleep in 2 days. And stress with family. Now I get to deal with this. Grrr. Was I really charging too much? Was I wrong to finally let her know how I feel about her?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

If you ask me you were undercharging! The norm is about 5 an hour per child. I know that is what I paid about 6 years ago when I worked. 

heartagram_girl
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I know I was undercharging, but the only reason I was even babysitting was to help take the stress off my MIL. She has a lot to take care of, and dealing with 2 more kids was not helping her health. I just want to know how she is gonna get someone else for cheaper than that...

Quoting redneckmama2:

If you ask me you were undercharging! The norm is about 5 an hour per child. I know that is what I paid about 6 years ago when I worked. 

CafeMom Tickers
seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Even being family, she was getting a deal with your minimal fee.  I'm shocked she found that greedy.

Side note-I loooove the name Atreyu! <3 (that is such a great story)

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Just let her go and don't be drawn into her drama. It isn't worth being drawn into it. She bashes you because she feels guilty. Don't let her get to you and rise above it and that will irk her more than your response. By responding you are giving her exactly what she wants.  If you are friends with the MIL offer HER help if you can.  She can do what she chooses.  And again don't let this woman see you sweat or be upset by her words.  

3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM
o.O sCaRY.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM

ugh...those poor kids

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM

no you weren't charging that much. i would say you were undercharging.

IWantOneMorePlz
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM

20 a day for 2 kids??  Too bad my kids aren't little anymore, I would hire you on the spot for that rate.  I was paying (in 2005) 125 a week for ONE child.

opal10161973
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

No you were in the right.  I pay $10/hour for my two kids. 

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I'm in MD and right now I will tell you that the going rate is $10/ hour. If more than two kids its around $14/hr.

Luckily my lil sis(18yo) loves me so much I just tell her to help herself to food and $20 for a whole night. That and drive her to her bfs house afterwards. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)