Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dr. Oz & vaccines

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 22 Replies

Okay I know we're all sick of the vaccine posts...but I have to find a healthcare related YouTube video to critique for school, and came across this one.  WTF?  If Dr. Oz doesn't feel strongly enough about vaccines' safety, why is he letting his wife make sure their kids aren't vaccinated?  It's time for my dds' 5th & 2nd appointments....and I don't know what I'm doing about vaccines.  When I read the medical studies, I think "Okay, I need to vaccinate".  But then I hear of many doctors who won't vaccinate their kids, ugh.  I wish this were easy.  Have you seen this video or the other ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1-LuDt6nYg

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennaPixi
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

research, sounds like you need to research. Start with the CDC website and the ingredients for the shots your kids will be getting, or have gotten. It is not an 'easy' choice but one that takes time and effort and research. 

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM

We did a delayed vac schedule so he'd have a stronger immune system and not have as high a risk for a negative reaction, and all of the research I've done has directed me to this choice. Every parent does what they feel is best for their child, and that's fine. I HAVE noticed a lot of doctors publicly backing vaccines, and either going delayed or not vaccinating. It's strange and I would like to know their logic.

Judesmom333
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I noticed that also. I know a lot of Drs who do not vaccinate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy980106
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I agree with PP. While you should consider your own doctor's advice, you should educate yourself on the subject so you can make the right choice for your child. It is your decision, no one else's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

This is in reference to one specific vaccine, not vaccination in general.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM

That's what Ithought, but there are quite a few videos of Dr. Oz saying his wife doesn't vaccinate her children...and he says it in such a way it makes it sound like they're not his kids, not his decision to make...but I think that's just to cover his butt kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

This is in reference to one specific vaccine, not vaccination in general.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I love our pediatrician, have had her for 12 yrs.  She lets us do a delayed schedule...but brings it up everytime.  And when I ask for the inserts with the ingredients (all the research tells me to do this), they give me like a dumbed-down version & say that's all they have.  I almost wish it was someone else's decision, kwim?

Quoting Mommy980106:

I agree with PP. While you should consider your own doctor's advice, you should educate yourself on the subject so you can make the right choice for your child. It is your decision, no one else's.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Right; they seem to say they believe in vaccinations as a whole, but not for their children.  WHAT!?!  What makes your children any different than mine, kwim?  My pediatricians all say they vaccinate their children and believe it's the best...but idk...

Quoting Judesmom333:

I noticed that also. I know a lot of Drs who do not vaccinate.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I don't know how many hours I've spent on the research for this.  I am so tired of it.  So far, I've come to the conclusion to only vaccinate when I'm happy with their developmental progress.  My 2 yr old isn't talking as much as I'd like, so she is definitely not up to date...and I can't help but wonder if my 11.5 ds's ADHD was triggered by getting his shots on time w/o worrying he was behind on some of his milestones.  But when I read all the medical studies, the benefits of the shots outweigh the possible (rare) side effects.  I kind of miss being ignorant.

Quoting JennaPixi:

research, sounds like you need to research. Start with the CDC website and the ingredients for the shots your kids will be getting, or have gotten. It is not an 'easy' choice but one that takes time and effort and research. 

queen_k0302
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I delay and decide which ones to give my children. The pediatricians office we use are also more careful with antibiotics than some others. I love having someone who doesn't force me into their decisions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured