Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No, I'm not embarrassed.

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/17961023/Pray_for_my_baby_final_update 

READ and re-read if you don't get it. The picture I posted in this link is not the same picture my DF posted on FB that upset me. He can post pictures of his son all he wants I just did not want the picture where he has blood and tubes all over him posted. 

Recently my LO had major surgery (refer to my link for more info on that) and we of course took a picture of him after just to have a picture of him with all his tubes and wires. My DF posted the picture on FB and I asked him to take it down. He later asked me if I was embarrassed of our child's current condition. I told him no I was not, I just felt it was not something to publicly display on FB. My dad ended up sharing it before my DF took it down. I explained to him there are about 400 or more people idk who are not close to us seeing that picture. It's a heart breaking picture of an infant in recovery. I told him I have no problem with showing the picture to select people but not the world. Do you agree with my decision to request they both remove the picture. Does it mean anything bad on my part to not want to display it like that?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Replies (251-260):
CutieCrab
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I agree with you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarlove01
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM
i agree woth you. mwn are not so sensitive or conscientious as women for the most part thats all.
2ofthesame
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM
He wasn't wrong for posting it up.. And you're not wrong for asking it to be taken down. You veiw it as one of the worst moments of your life.. He may see it as the moment he realized that his son is a fighter and going to be okay. Its the point in this struggle where he realized he can take a breath and think about a future with his son, when there may have been fear before. No one is really wrong here. You have your reasons for is coming down but remember he also has reasons for putting it up.
RevivingOphelia
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't say you're wrong feeling the way you do, but I don't see the big deal. We posted pictures of my DS through his whole recovery. From the moment he was out of surgery to his swelling to the time we were released. But my DS had craniosynostosis, so it's different.
BanaH
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM
No, but I think he did it to encourage people to wish you well. Sometimes it's best to leave some things to privacy.
Good luck with everything.
ladyhekuba
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Glad your baby is doing ok but I think you overreacted

thanush
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

You still don't seem to get it. This isn't about being embarrassed about a picture OP took. Your assumption and argument is soly based on that. Loosing a camera or someone accidently seeing a picture is very different from actually posting on social media. 

There are several risks about posting this kind of pics in FB, one being, the sick-minded people who just 'steal'these kind of pics and come up with crazy backup stories and ask everyone else to share them for one silly reason or another. 

it's completly OK to want to take a picture but not wanting to share it on FB. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I think people need to be more realistic about what they are doing. As soon as you take a pic it could end up anywhere. If you lose the camera or if you use a digital camera there is a risk someone you don't want to see it will. I agree there are boundries but let's face it everyone's boundries are not the same. So before you take a pic understand and accept the risks or don't do it. If you take a pic it could somehow end up on the internet, intended or not, right or wrong. I think if it is such a big deal for people then they should be smarter about it. If you choose to take a private pic you also choose to accept the risks involved, don't complain if one of those risks comes through.

Quoting thanush:

That's silly. Taking a picture doesn't mean you also want to share it with 300,000 or so people. Not even pictures taken for commercial use let you do that. Even they have rules on how they can be used. Like everything else there are boundaries that we only let people we want, enter. 

Whats wrong with you anyway... Have some compassion. A picture of one's baby covered in blood and tubes is not same as your bath picture. A parent may take any pic they want so they can show it / or not, when the kids grow up. But every picture certainly do not have to be shared.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a firm believer that if you don't want people to see the pic don't take it. Problem solved. If you don't want your baby on social media then watch them and ensure no photos are taken without that clear understanding. Personally it does not bother me to have pics of ds on facebook and I never took bath pics where his bits were uncovered. I really wish people would think this stuff through prior to having kids because I am so sick of the omg I'm gonna whine cause my kids pic is on fb posts. Duh. What did you think would happen?

Brown79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I don't think you are wrong. I wouldn't want that either.
SumthingSublime
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I wouldn't want that picture going around either. My fiance and I don't even like to post pics of our 9 months old when she's in only a diaper. No one needs to see that except maybe some select people like you said.

Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM
I wouldn't have minded, but if you did, there's nothing wrong with that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)