Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have a weird last name?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Feel free to go anon for this, if you don't want your last name out there.

I have a weird last name. I wish I didn't, because I ALWAYS have to spell it for people. And since it has letters that sound like other letters, like D and T and M I have to say "D, as in dog, T as in Turtle, M as in Mary". And people STILL butcher it! I hate it. I wish I could be a Smith or a Johnson...something that I wouldn't constantly have to spell out.

My last name? Ditmars. I'm willing to bet that not a single one of you share my last name. :) And there is not another person in this world that has the same first name/last name combination as me. At least not that I've found. So I guess that's at least one good thing - it's unique!

OMG!!! This is a featured post?!?! I've never had one of those - how cool!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (331-340):
Pink.Sunshine
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I wish I would've just kept mine and never changed it

Quoting lili_monkey:

I don't like my married last name, it doesn't flow or fit me. So, I still have my maiden last name, I never got it changed.

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

I dislike my married last name. Sincerely considering going back to my Maiden name.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 158 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Im married but I still have my maiden name.. I come from a full blooded Italian family.. but my last name isnt really that odd lol- Molinaro* Anyone else with that last name???

LisaSmock
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM
My last name is. Smock. S-M-O-C-K. Like a painters smock its a real word. People say "schock" "smook" "schmweck". "Schmock" WTF? B4 I got married my name was Lisa Henley
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Byrd15
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Byrd
Pronounced bird. I love it. :) <3 I am a proud Momma Byrd.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:14 AM
My maiden and married name are both unique and I have to spell them.
felicia0387
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:18 AM

My last name is Goessman, its always misspelled and mispronounced!

johnsmama98
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:19 AM

My last name is Whisenant, and I have to spell it for everyone, I've spelled so many times, I just do it automatically now. And if I get a phone call from someone, they usually pronounce it wrong, (Wise-nant), it's pronounced Whiz-nent. Doesn't bother me any more, I'm used to it.

I also have an old fashioned first name, it's Hattie (I was named after my mother's mother), I've been called Heidi, Haddy, Patty, etc. I've gotten used to that too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 159 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:20 AM
My last name is white i go by my married name mays
Anonymous
by Anonymous 160 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM
My maiden name is linhart ( pronounced Lynn heart) butchered often. My married (legal name ) is Ferguson.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 161 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM

My last name is Gabriel and I have to spell THAT out for people!! How rediculous?

And then let's not forget that I get EVERY SINGLE variation in the book! I can't even tell you how many times I say "Gabriel" and people just change it to "Gabrielson" as if they weren't even listening!! Or when they spell it Gabrielle... my reaction is always "WTF ARE YOU THINKING???"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)