Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have a weird last name?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Feel free to go anon for this, if you don't want your last name out there.

I have a weird last name. I wish I didn't, because I ALWAYS have to spell it for people. And since it has letters that sound like other letters, like D and T and M I have to say "D, as in dog, T as in Turtle, M as in Mary". And people STILL butcher it! I hate it. I wish I could be a Smith or a Johnson...something that I wouldn't constantly have to spell out.

My last name? Ditmars. I'm willing to bet that not a single one of you share my last name. :) And there is not another person in this world that has the same first name/last name combination as me. At least not that I've found. So I guess that's at least one good thing - it's unique!

OMG!!! This is a featured post?!?! I've never had one of those - how cool!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
My maiden name is Brazell. My married name is Marshall. I like my married name more lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM

My maiden name is Atteberry. It's not even that hard, I mean it has the word berry in it for fucks sake, but yeah, people could never spell it or pronounce it... I'd hang up on telemarketers all the time, "no I'm sorry, no Mr Hattenbury here!"

Outside my family I had never met anyone with that name, but Saturday Night Live does have a skit about a couple called the Atteberrys

I've met people with the last name AtteRberry, just that one letter difference seems to make it a lot more common lol

unusualmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
My last name starts with Rat. So everyone calls me Rat. Yeah...ummm. NO!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Yeah, I'm Skittlefart.  Hehe. (JK)

None of those though.  I'm named after the good candy :)

You know how men call each other by their last name?  That was my husband's nickname growing up.. and apparently I look like a famous person with that same name, so growing up I had the same nickname and then it became my married name.  Funny how that worked out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Rolo? Twizzler? Snickers? Hershey? Wonka? Skittles?

Quoting Anonymous:

My maiden name was Smith.  Trust me, you DON'T want that name.

My married name isn't as common but still can be butchered.  I just tell people it's spelled like the candy and they usually get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
My last name is Maher pronounced Mar. No one ever spells or pronounces it right. I always spell it out for people and I never bother correcting them when they mispronounce it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It's not that weird but people mess it up. It's Underhill.. but I get Underwood a lot and I got Thunderhill once, LMAO!

My first name is way weirder and more difficult for people to get right :-/

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I know a whitehead family! :) 

My last name is Lehr. I do not hate it but I like my Maiden name better. My maiden name is Vann. It would always piss me off that no one said it properly. How hard could it possibly be to say Vann. I swear, if it only had one N no one would say it wrong.

Quoting hootowl21:

I used to have a math teacher named mr. Whitehead. He was white and bald. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Striano. I love it. My boyfriend's is whitehead. Terrible!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

save the date

hellomilla
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My maiden name was a very common, easy to pronounce name. When I got married, I got Langhans. It's German and ALWAYS mispronounced.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

mines is Ojersson.... my married last name i way better. Gonzalez

ChelleBoo23
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Mines a classic polish last name. Long and people never pronounce it right. Stolowski (Stowl-ow-ski). I like what my last name will be when I get married, but people always say it wrong or spell it wrong, but I still like it better then mine. It's Gallegos (Gah-yay-gos).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN