Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have a weird last name?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Feel free to go anon for this, if you don't want your last name out there.

I have a weird last name. I wish I didn't, because I ALWAYS have to spell it for people. And since it has letters that sound like other letters, like D and T and M I have to say "D, as in dog, T as in Turtle, M as in Mary". And people STILL butcher it! I hate it. I wish I could be a Smith or a Johnson...something that I wouldn't constantly have to spell out.

My last name? Ditmars. I'm willing to bet that not a single one of you share my last name. :) And there is not another person in this world that has the same first name/last name combination as me. At least not that I've found. So I guess that's at least one good thing - it's unique!

OMG!!! This is a featured post?!?! I've never had one of those - how cool!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (931-940):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
My last name is Volner. Easy to pronounce but doesn't go with names very easily. Lol. Especiallywhen my dd has my last name
seretae
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Mine is popular,easy 2 spell I love it.:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Jake08
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

LOL, yeah right.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Then why don't you tell us what it is?

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

I'm the only me in the world. No one else in the US has our last name.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Suarez (which I actually loved but always had to spell).......but my married last name is Bryant. So now I only have to spell my first name

Moe1521
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM
My maiden name is Phelps.... Like the Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps. People always called me "Phillips". I still don't understand how that happened.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smgb0510
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I have a weird last name and I hated it growing up, but now I've found it's so unique that it's cool and I found out where it originates...  there's a famous private school in England with that name, but I'm like you...  when I googled my name, there's not another one like it with my first and last name combo, there is one guy in the UK with the same initials, but there are very few people in the US with my name and they live nowhere near where I live...  I think it's pretty cool now...

Mrs.Nicodemus
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My last name used to be Horton and people would say Horton hears a who. It's pretty common but still people always said stuff like that. When calling a company I could say Horton as in Horton hears a who. Now my last name is Nicodemus and I don't know anyone outside fo my married family with the last name. People pronounce it Nick-ah-d-mus but when I call places I say Nic-O-demus!!! LOL

brittneyfulper
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Mine is Fulper. I've been called Fulton, fuller, looper, Faulkner, etc.
Gretchensgirls
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM

sidesplittinglaughterThat's awful!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting hootowl21:

I used to have a math teacher named mr. Whitehead. He was white and bald. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Striano. I love it. My boyfriend's is whitehead. Terrible!

holding cloth bagMaddy & Abby's Mom

angeleyes16
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM

We pronounce it Pay-Quin. I see your point though thanks. =) 

Quoting HezekiahsMom07:

Because ... that's how it's spelled. 'Qu' makes a cw sound. Quack, queen.... it just makes sense to an American.

I would pronounce it like 'pah-kin,' but I can kinda recognize an American name vs something else...

Quoting Anonymous:

Mine is Paquin. People always pronounce it Pacwin. There is no C in the name... So I don't get it? lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)