Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have a weird last name?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Feel free to go anon for this, if you don't want your last name out there.

I have a weird last name. I wish I didn't, because I ALWAYS have to spell it for people. And since it has letters that sound like other letters, like D and T and M I have to say "D, as in dog, T as in Turtle, M as in Mary". And people STILL butcher it! I hate it. I wish I could be a Smith or a Johnson...something that I wouldn't constantly have to spell out.

My last name? Ditmars. I'm willing to bet that not a single one of you share my last name. :) And there is not another person in this world that has the same first name/last name combination as me. At least not that I've found. So I guess that's at least one good thing - it's unique!

OMG!!! This is a featured post?!?! I've never had one of those - how cool!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (941-950):
Goddessofpurple
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Nope, in fact I love my last name. Only bad part about my last name is that there is no relation to the actual person.  Prada!! Love it.

Vertical15
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I know someone with a last name similar to yours.

I always liked my last name growing up.  It was short and easy - but my married name.  People really butcher it!

ab51304
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

My last name is "Kaye" and people pronounce it "Ky-Yay"   What makes it worse it my first name is Alicia so all the time people say "Oh like that singer?  But not, right?"  uh, yeah, not! 

Taber4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM

lol..... I know my last name got me a lot of hell in middle and high school.... kids can be so cruel....lol but now I own it proudly.... and it is quite fitting nowadays :)

chane_L
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM

mine is Loudermilk, sounds exactly like spelled ( but the calls from india always ask for mrs. loodermilk, they are told to learn how to say a name prior to calling and hung up on) And people want to spell it Laudermilk a lot

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM
My married name is Engel. I love it, means angel in German.
tuckermum
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM
You should message me id understand if you dont want to but im really curious now.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is awesome!!

Quoting tuckermum:

Oh my goodness me too. And john stith pemberton who made coca-cola.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? We are generationally related to John Clifford Pemberton who was a military Army Officer who fought in the Seminole Wars. He was also a General in the Confederate Army During the American Civil War.

Quoting tuckermum:

Im related to some pembertons

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope I love my last name however I hated my maiden name

Married last name: Rose

Maiden Name: Pemberton

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gizmo538
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I liked my maiden name better. My married name is so easy to pronounce and yet so many people get it wrong. Like they all forgot how to read and pronounce their letters. I get that there are people who have names with strange pronunciations but that doesn't mean all names are like that. Some are pronounced exactly as they are spelled.

IDidYourMom8709
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM
lol sorry!!

Quoting mama.farmer:

My ex's last name is Schoen, pronounced Showen. lol Your announcement of your married name panicked me for a sec, but the pronunciation clears it all up.

Quoting IDidYourMom8709:

maiden is Thayer and i dare you to try and pronounce it. Give up? its Thay- Er. i used to get 'there' and and 'tay-er' like people thought the H was silent.

married name is Schoen. pronounced shane, but German spelling. people constantly say 'show en' and we just sigh and correct them.

IDidYourMom8709
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM
lol we've gotten that too.

Quoting -spork2.0-:

I was thinking scone.

Quoting IDidYourMom8709:

maiden is Thayer and i dare you to try and pronounce it. Give up? its Thay- Er. i used to get 'there' and and 'tay-er' like people thought the H was silent.

married name is Schoen. pronounced shane, but German spelling. people constantly say 'show en' and we just sigh and correct them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)