Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have a weird last name?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Feel free to go anon for this, if you don't want your last name out there.

I have a weird last name. I wish I didn't, because I ALWAYS have to spell it for people. And since it has letters that sound like other letters, like D and T and M I have to say "D, as in dog, T as in Turtle, M as in Mary". And people STILL butcher it! I hate it. I wish I could be a Smith or a Johnson...something that I wouldn't constantly have to spell out.

My last name? Ditmars. I'm willing to bet that not a single one of you share my last name. :) And there is not another person in this world that has the same first name/last name combination as me. At least not that I've found. So I guess that's at least one good thing - it's unique!

OMG!!! This is a featured post?!?! I've never had one of those - how cool!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (981-990):
damionsmama7195
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM

i have the same last name as a few celebrities, so i love it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 429 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM

My maiden name is very common. My married name is Cano. It is common in Mexico, and maybe places with high numbers of hispanics, but around here I have to repeat it's spelling like ten times to anyone who asks. It only has four letters, so wtf? My college has 18,000 students and I am the only one with this last name. 

raefmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I love my last name. Raef but people always want to spell it Raes. 

It has become automatic to say Raef. It is the word Fear backwards. They still misspell it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 354 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

It's not weird, just that there are so many different spellings for it, that I always have to spell it out.  Was the same for my maiden name as well.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Okay I got you all beat!!!!

My Maiden name: Waters

My Married Name: Champagne

if I had hypenated them I would have been WATERED DOWN CHAMPAGNE!!

Now for the kicker my first name is Sherri.

So I am still a big alcoholic Sherri Champagne!!! and all 3 are liquids.

AMedicsPixie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Mine is common but an uncommon spelling. Pearce.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 430 on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I love my new last name. My maiden name was Sudan. 

Even with the war in Sudan being on the news constantly. No one could spell it. 

proudmommaof6bo
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM
My last name is Ebelhar. People always say it and spell it wrong. I even had a teacher in highschool once tell me that i was spelling my last name wrong..... i was like " bitch, I've been spelling it all my life, i think i know how to spell my own last name!" Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ecomaiden
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM

My maiden name is completely crazy and unique and I love it! My married name is less crazy, but certainly still unique, and it is growing on me :)

banana-bear
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM

My married name not only has to be spelled out, but I have to say things like "S as in Sam, B as in Boy, V as in Victor" etc. It's 10 letters long, lol. My maiden name kicks ass though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)