Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cant believe im doing this....

When I first joined cafemom I thought abortion was murder. But after seeing so many stories I've read I have come to see how ignorant that is. While I am now prochoice and I have a better more mature outlook on it, I am still saddened to of a case of abortion. I do not pass judgement, I wanna make that clear. I does still make me sad though.
That being said, I am seeing the trend in this topic today. I wanted to say something. Start a bit of a relaxed discussion (hopeful I know) and I feel like posting in the other posts my words are drowned out. So....
I wanna know when you think a fetus is a baby. I read an argument that had me thinking. Some women
believe it is a life at conception.
Some believe it is a life and a baby when it is viable to live outside the womb. Everyone has a difference of opinion and I respect each of your opinions on the matter. I am simply curious as to what you ladies believe and why you believe it.
the thought just hit me that maybe it's a life when there is a heartbeat. Maybe regardless If it can live on its own or not. It still has a heart right? Which gives life. And in persona already born, as long as there is a heartbeat there is life. I'm wondering about babies or fetuses if you prefer, that are birthed sleeping. Would you consider that a baby? If it has no heartbeat? What about people on life support? They are in need of support to continue their life, much like a fetus. I'm still pondering in it... what are your thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
ruggy03
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I never believed in abortion until we started seeing all these news stories about babies and infants and toddlers being abused,killed,burnt.....then I thought really go thru a whole unwanted pregnancy just to wait until its a month old to kill it..uhm...Then my heart started breaking thinking about a baby who would recognize its parent or whomever the person was who decided to do horrible things to it.wouldnt it have been better off never seeing the light of day?my opinion only and i think at 18 weeks if you miscarry you have to consider a burial in Florida,so maybe each state has there own laws on when its a baby.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I am pro-life, if you don't want to raise the baby then you can make the choice to put it up for adoption.

I believe life begins at conception.

I also want to add that I am firm on my beliefs; however, I do not judge or belittle others for theirs.

Thomasmom07
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Life at conception

IMO abortion is murder. I personally could never have an abortion even if it put my own life at risk. With that being said I will never judge anyone who has an abortion if that is what they feel is right for them. It is your body your choice and will never make someone feel bad about doing what they feel is right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

This. Though I *personally* wouldn't abort, I don't judge the ones who do.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe a fetus is a baby when it can survive outside the womb (so 22-24 weeks or so)

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Do you consider all abortion to be wrong? Or do you see it as a case by case?
I am prochoice, as I said but I still don't like the idea of abortion. Especially when used as a form of birth control. Without abortion there would be a lot of women trying to abort on their own, for one reason or another and that is so very dangerous. Its an evil but its a necessary evil.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Life at conception. Abortion is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I believe life begins when a viable baby takes it's first breath.  Before it is viable it fits the strict scientific definition of a parasite.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I call my unborn child my baby from the start as well as referring to her as a fetus. Since she is mine and I have her inside me, I consider her my baby.

I had a suspected ectopic pregnancy, and was treated for it, despite passing tissue BEFORE the chemicals were administered. I am completely prochoice and personally my choice has always been life unless mine was in danger. Mine was possibly in danger, and I fell apart knowing we were potentially ending the beginnings of a life we were trying to conceive. We wanted our baby, we wanted that pregnancy. We will never know for sure if it was ectopic (after surgery, nothing was discovered anywhere, so I am assuming I lost the pregnancy before being treated as ectopic), but having to choose to take injections of chemicals to end a pregnancy we desperately wanted put me into a deep depression.

I am now pregnant again, and things are going wonderfully this time around. I cannot judge another woman for choosing life or choosing abortion, no matter what her circumstances are, it was likely not an easy choice in many instances.

My father died after we had to remove the ventilator. He was brain dead. There was nothing inside of him anymore that made him the man I knew. He went from a sick parent, needing help to breathe and let his heart and lungs rest, to a body with no life inside of it. It was so fucking hard to see my amazing dad go from a big strong force to a sick, fragile shell. 

My thoughts on the subject are all over the place, and I simply do not know when to consider a living growing fetus a baby in an objective sense. I also do not know when to consider a formerly vital, living person no longer a person in the even of brain death versus clinical death. It is very, very hard to even think about.

I have no experience with stillbirth personally and pray to never have to experience it. Again, I do not know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I think that if you want the baby, its a baby from day one.  If you dont want it, it will always be just a fetus.  I am pro choice but am unsure if I would ever get an abortion.  Its each woman's choice, in my opinion.  

SusieQue717
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

That takes you to the question of when does a person get it's soul. Everyone has a different opinion on that subject... 

I dunno. I'm prochoice. I believe that it is the womans choice. I don't think anyone else should be making the decision for her. 
Personally, I wouldn't have one. But just because I wouldn't doesn't mean that the world thinks the way that I do. And I know that there are situations that are freaking beyond comprehension, and I don't think the people in these situations need anyone telling them what's right or wrong at that moment. They need to deal with the situation at hand. 
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

A catholic hospital said that miscarried fetuses were not babies and their practice was to burn them in the incinerator as bio waste.

Quoting ruggy03:

I never believed in abortion until we started seeing all these news stories about babies and infants and toddlers being abused,killed,burnt.....then I thought really go thru a whole unwanted pregnancy just to wait until its a month old to kill it..uhm...Then my heart started breaking thinking about a baby who would recognize its parent or whomever the person was who decided to do horrible things to it.wouldnt it have been better off never seeing the light of day?my opinion only and i think at 18 weeks if you miscarry you have to consider a burial in Florida,so maybe each state has there own laws on when its a baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)