Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband has decided this is cheating...ETA *edited again!*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm playing a lead in a community theater production (Sophie in 'Mamma Mia'). Things have been going really well, and I've been having a lot of fun.

On Sunday we had a dress rehearsal, and our families were invited to watch. After the show my husband seemed out of sorts, so I asked him what was wrong. Turns out he's all pissy because I have to kiss a guy a couple times as part of the show. Really? He says he didn't know I would be kissing anyone, or he wouldn't have been ok with me being in the show in the first place. He also says he doesn't want our friends and family to come, cuz he's embarrassed for them to watch me 'cheat' on him.

I think he's blowing this way way way way out of proportion. What do you ladies think?

ETA: I didn't bother to bring it up to him because I assumed he would realize it himself, having seen the live show and the movie before.

Edit #2: okay, so we talked. He said that he sees now that he overreacted, and I said I understand why he felt the way he did, and I would make sure to discuss these things with him next time. He understands now that it means nothing. Part of the reason I was so upset was it seemed like he couldn't trust me to be faithful over one stupid kiss, but now we both know how the other feels. Thank you everyone for (mostly) being supportive and letting me vent!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
shylynn22
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM
My dh would not be okay with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM
3 moms liked this

He's being pissy about that? Really? It's called ACTING. Does he not understand the concept? I don't mean to be ugly but come on! He's being very childish. 

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

If I was in a show where I had to kiss somebody I would darn sure talk to my DH about it and make sure he was comfortable with it before I agreed to do the part.  My DH's comfort and his trust in me is much more important then a part in a show.  He probably is not only hurt that you are doing it, but that you didn't talk to him about it and he had to find out in front of everybody. 

LittlePistol87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Seriously?? So I guess every actor and actress on earth has cheated on there spouse because there characters kiss/fuck others in the movies. Geeze men get so butt hurt and the worst times. 

C.S.K.L
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell him to focus on the word "acting"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM
The ridiculous especially since u said he has seen the play and the movie. Smh. In high school my first love had a kissing scene with my good friend in a play. I was running sound and she was nervous about kissing him so during the first rehearsal I was coaching them lol.
Just remind him it is a stage kiss and nothing more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I think you should have told him about it, but I think he's overreacting.

Kes1s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

mmmmmm...

I think it was perhaps a bit dishonest of you not to prepare him for this and not to give him the option of informed consent.  I can see how he would feel disrespected, because I have the impression that you did not tell him sooner because you knew he would have a problem with it.

If you were a professional actress and your career was reliant upon you being willing to do as directed on stage, and both of you were aware of this then that would be a different story, but you're a mom who decided to be in a play for fun and wasn't comfortable asking for changes to be made to the way a scene is done because you are not comfortable with it. 

I can see WHY you didn't since the fear was probably there that they would say tough shit this is part of the role, act it as written, but that would be when you have to put everyones feet on the ground and say this is not a professional production, not a one of us are going to be judged as "bad actors" because we have our own lives that take precedence over the directors artistic vision.

You do not need to tolerate a diva director insisting that an actor never says no unless you are lookng to end up on the casting couch. 

I would walk before I would do the kiss scene, and my man wold have been coming thorugh the audience to stop the show.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I didn't bother to tell him about it because I assume he knew and it didn't bother him. He knew the part I was auditioning for, and he's seen the show before. I don't think either of us thought about it until he saw it that moment...

Quoting countrygirlkat:

If I was in a show where I had to kiss somebody I would darn sure talk to my DH about it and make sure he was comfortable with it before I agreed to do the part.  My DH's comfort and his trust in me is much more important then a part in a show.  He probably is not only hurt that you are doing it, but that you didn't talk to him about it and he had to find out in front of everybody. 

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)