Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband has decided this is cheating...ETA *edited again!*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm playing a lead in a community theater production (Sophie in 'Mamma Mia'). Things have been going really well, and I've been having a lot of fun.

On Sunday we had a dress rehearsal, and our families were invited to watch. After the show my husband seemed out of sorts, so I asked him what was wrong. Turns out he's all pissy because I have to kiss a guy a couple times as part of the show. Really? He says he didn't know I would be kissing anyone, or he wouldn't have been ok with me being in the show in the first place. He also says he doesn't want our friends and family to come, cuz he's embarrassed for them to watch me 'cheat' on him.

I think he's blowing this way way way way out of proportion. What do you ladies think?

ETA: I didn't bother to bring it up to him because I assumed he would realize it himself, having seen the live show and the movie before.

Edit #2: okay, so we talked. He said that he sees now that he overreacted, and I said I understand why he felt the way he did, and I would make sure to discuss these things with him next time. He understands now that it means nothing. Part of the reason I was so upset was it seemed like he couldn't trust me to be faithful over one stupid kiss, but now we both know how the other feels. Thank you everyone for (mostly) being supportive and letting me vent!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
ilovemykids323
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM

i think he's being insecure. it's just a play.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM

i wouldn't call it cheating but i know dh wouldn't like it if i did that nor would i if he did. 

i don't know why you didnt think to tell him

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I would have asked him if he was ok with it before ever becoming part of it.

I completely see why he is u.comfortable about it and doesn't want family seeing it.

I was in theatre for years, so I understand both sides.

I can 100% imagine my husbands heart breaking though seeing It happen, so I feel pretty bad for your husband since he didn't expect it at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM
It honestly never occurred to me that it would bother him, because to me it means nothing. I don't even find the guy attractive! And it's not really about diva directors. These people are my friends, and we're all very professional about what we do. And we do get paid for it...

Quoting Kes1s:

mmmmmm...

I think it was perhaps a bit dishonest of you not to prepare him for this and not to give him the option of informed consent.  I can see how he would feel disrespected, because I have the impression that you did not tell him sooner because you knew he would have a problem with it.

If you were a professional actress and your career was reliant upon you being willing to do as directed on stage, and both of you were aware of this then that would be a different story, but you're a mom who decided to be in a play for fun and wasn't comfortable asking for changes to be made to the way a scene is done because you are not comfortable with it. 

I can see WHY you didn't since the fear was probably there that they would say tough shit this is part of the role, act it as written, but that would be when you have to put everyones feet on the ground and say this is not a professional production, not a one of us are going to be judged as "bad actors" because we have our own lives that take precedence over the directors artistic vision.

You do not need to tolerate a diva director insisting that an actor never says no unless you are lookng to end up on the casting couch. 

I would walk before I would do the kiss scene, and my man wold have been coming thorugh the audience to stop the show.

Jers.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Is he also upset because you aren't a twenty year-old who doesn't know who her real father is?

robyann
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM

He is being silly! Try to explain to him that it is acting, that you love him and not that other man in the play. Tell him that other man's family and friends will be there. That people dont get jealous of things like this.

.MommyEast.
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM
You should have talked to him about it before, instead of assuming.. But he is over reacting. Break a leg.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM
He should have expected it...he's seen the play and movie before!

Quoting Anonymous:

I would have asked him if he was ok with it before ever becoming part of it.

I completely see why he is u.comfortable about it and doesn't want family seeing it.

I was in theatre for years, so I understand both sides.

I can 100% imagine my husbands heart breaking though seeing It happen, so I feel pretty bad for your husband since he didn't expect it at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Thats cute hes jealous tell him how awful the guys breath say ur imagining him and this isnt nearly as good as a kisser as he is. Try n boost his ego. But y cant yall pretend to kiss like lips next to lips not on top?
bmcandmmh
by Michelle on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I think you should have told him in the beginning. Good thing he not telling you you absolutely can't be in the play at the last second. It could be worse he could be threatening divorce. I think it's a great honor to be in a play I think he's just hurt he never knew to begin with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN