Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my daughter stole candy from the store

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
We went grocery shopping yesterday my husband and I where talking to the cashier and paid and walked out. Hubs loaded the groceries into the car and i put the kids in the car when i noticed something in my 6 year olds pocket. She had a baby bottle pop that was at the check out in her pocket. So i made her go back in and give it to the cashier and apologies. When we got home she had to spend the rest of the day in her room. I also had a long talk with her about how taking things with out permission or paying for it is stealing and people that steal go to jail. I really hope she gets the idea because i don't want to have to search her every time we go into a store. Out of 5 kids ive never run across this problem. At 6 shouldnt she understand the concept of stealing?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Yes she should.

When my brother was 5 and did that, my mother took him back to the store. He had to return the toy and apologize.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I did it at age 3.. a 5 cent piece of bazooka bubble gum.

I was humiliated and my mom did the same thing. It stuck.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Have you talked to her about it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I shoplifted until I was close to teenaged.  Hopefully your punishment and discussion will sway her from doing it again. I think a lot of kids do it at one point or another. You did the right thing by making her return the candy to the store. I would still check her pockets every time for a while though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Maybe that's her thing. Maybe you can never break it from her. I have a problem with stealing too. I got caught by my mom around that age, too. I'm not excusing it... Just giving an opinion.
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You did the right thing.

My oldest son stole something when he was 16 months old. He must have grabbed it off a shelf just the right height as we walked by it..because he was sitting in the cart the whole time and I didn't know he had it until we were already through the check out and almost out of the store. I looked down and was like "Where did that come from?"....So DH stayed with him and our stuff and I went and paid for it...I told her "He took it, I didn't know he had it so I'll just pay for it and be on my way." She was like "My kids have done that before" Stupid friggin thing was $4!!  

It was this thing:

TeamTARDIS
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM
My brother did that. My dad made him return it, he had to apologize and my dad told him that stealing made a person a thief, if he didn't want to be a thief then he couldn't ever steal again.
My brother cried but learned his lesson.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Well not directly about taking things from the store but if she had a siblings toy or something like that i always would tell her that if it is not hers she needs to ask before taking something stuff like that.

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Have you talked to her about it?
gblossom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I believe you did the right thing!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I think at that age its just a baby saying ooo pretty and grabbing it at 6 she knew it was wrong and was trying to hide it

Quoting IncognitoOne:

You did the right thing.

My oldest son stole something when he was 16 months old. He must have grabbed it off a shelf just the right height as we walked by it..because he was sitting in the cart the whole time and I didn't know he had it until we were already through the check out and almost out of the store. I looked down and was like "Where did that come from?"....So DH stayed with him and our stuff and I went and paid for it...I told her "He took it, I didn't know he had it so I'll just pay for it and be on my way." She was like "My kids have done that before" Stupid friggin thing was $4!!  

It was this thing:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)