Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are your local Boy Scout troops ready to admit homosexual kids and leaders?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 327 Replies
5 moms liked this

Boy Scouts May Finally Let Gay Kids Join (Fingers Crossed!)

Posted by Adriana Velez on January 28, 2013 

boy scouts americaIt's been a very long time coming -- but I didn't think it would happen this soon. The Boy Scouts of America may end its ban on gay members and leaders. The Board is in talks right now about ending the ban. If they vote in favor of the new policy, BSA would end the ban on a national level. Local chapters would still have the option of adopting the new policy or not.

BSA could make an announcement about the policy change as early as next week, following the national board's next scheduled meeting. Just this July the BSA affirmed its ban on gay kids joining and gay adults leading. So what brought about this sudden change? Demand from local chapters urging the national organization to reconsider. "We're a grassroots organization," an official told NBC. "This is a response to what's happening at the local level."

Wow, what an inspiring moment in history! Scouting families all over the country stood together and demanded this change. And they're being heard. I'm sure losing major funding from sponsors has also motivated the board, but I don't want to get too cynical about this. I'm just so glad BSA is joining the rest of the nation in changing its attitude toward gay people.

We knew it would happen eventually. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, a BSA board member and next in line to become its national chairman, had publicly stated that he would fight to change the ban. So did fellow BSA board member, Ernst & Young CEO James Turley. But America's boys are young now -- and they need these changes to happen today, not later.

This is a big deal for all of us who grew up with scouting or have kids in scouts. My brothers got their Eagles and my dad was a leader for a while. My son's father was an Eagle Scout, too -- as a closeted gay kid. I just can't imagine how different his life would have been if there had been a boys' organization that recognized that everyone is different, and that you can be gay and make a valuable contribution to your community at the same time.

This policy change could change a lot of boys' lives. I hope the board does decide to end the ban. A nation holds its breath. We're crossing our fingers. We're hoping that the BSA will stand on the right side of history and truly support and serve families all over our country.

Do you feel like your local troops are ready for this change?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM

We already do in some troops.  But as long as the program keeps advancements the same and not change like girl scouts i will be fine.

mamaof2monsters
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM
20 moms liked this

I think it is great because just a boy is gay doesn't mean he can't learn and value the traits the boyscouts teach. It will teach acceptance as well. I think it is time to get past  the stigma of gay scouts and leaders. Just because a man is gay does not mean he is a pedophile or that the boys will be hitting on your sons. This is America it is time for the home of the free part......

nancym3
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
3 moms liked this
What do you mean are they ready? Who cares their sexual orientation?!?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't think such a thing as a "gay KID" should or does exist.  They are just children.

I am really tired of this evil co-opting of children in order to promote a political cause.  Do what you want in the privacy of your home and everyone else will leave you alone. 

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, we're well past this (here in NW Washington)-I know a couple of men who are (and always have been) openly gay and were scouts.

Barabell
by ~~CC~~ on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

No change here. The BSA council where we live already doesn't discriminate against homosexuals.

Kokoscold
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

What did girl scouts change?

You know I'm glad they are changing their stance.... I haven't been buying popcorn because of this ban.

Quoting momto3infl:

We already do in some troops.  But as long as the program keeps advancements the same and not change like girl scouts i will be fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM

No the BSA is ran by too many religious groups like the LDS church who are against Gay's and Lesbians.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM
22 moms liked this
My son would not be attending a group with an openly homosexual leader. They are supposed to be roll models to the children and that is not something I want my child looking up to.
GaleJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Well here in the Chicagoland area Scouting has really been diminished in the last 20 years for a number of reasons including this one. Many groups and organizations have gotten away from offering Scouting and it is mainly conservative groups that have continued to promote and support Scouting. Having said that I don't know if liberal groups will have faith in the changes and trust the parent organization to continue to be forward thinking and reconsider their objections or if the more conservative groups will be unwilling to accept this change. Looking at the larger picture it may take awhile to see what effect this has in the long run.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)