Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are your local Boy Scout troops ready to admit homosexual kids and leaders?

Posted by   + Show Post

Boy Scouts May Finally Let Gay Kids Join (Fingers Crossed!)

Posted by Adriana Velez on January 28, 2013 

boy scouts americaIt's been a very long time coming -- but I didn't think it would happen this soon. The Boy Scouts of America may end its ban on gay members and leaders. The Board is in talks right now about ending the ban. If they vote in favor of the new policy, BSA would end the ban on a national level. Local chapters would still have the option of adopting the new policy or not.

BSA could make an announcement about the policy change as early as next week, following the national board's next scheduled meeting. Just this July the BSA affirmed its ban on gay kids joining and gay adults leading. So what brought about this sudden change? Demand from local chapters urging the national organization to reconsider. "We're a grassroots organization," an official told NBC. "This is a response to what's happening at the local level."

Wow, what an inspiring moment in history! Scouting families all over the country stood together and demanded this change. And they're being heard. I'm sure losing major funding from sponsors has also motivated the board, but I don't want to get too cynical about this. I'm just so glad BSA is joining the rest of the nation in changing its attitude toward gay people.

We knew it would happen eventually. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, a BSA board member and next in line to become its national chairman, had publicly stated that he would fight to change the ban. So did fellow BSA board member, Ernst & Young CEO James Turley. But America's boys are young now -- and they need these changes to happen today, not later.

This is a big deal for all of us who grew up with scouting or have kids in scouts. My brothers got their Eagles and my dad was a leader for a while. My son's father was an Eagle Scout, too -- as a closeted gay kid. I just can't imagine how different his life would have been if there had been a boys' organization that recognized that everyone is different, and that you can be gay and make a valuable contribution to your community at the same time.

This policy change could change a lot of boys' lives. I hope the board does decide to end the ban. A nation holds its breath. We're crossing our fingers. We're hoping that the BSA will stand on the right side of history and truly support and serve families all over our country.

Do you feel like your local troops are ready for this change?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
gizmo538
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

In some troops, they already do. Before we moved, our Ward had a boy scout troop. My SS is gay and he was in a troop that bashed gay people so he wanted to quit. Our Ward kept encouraging him to stay in (yes, they knew he was gay) and transfer to their troop. However, his BM wouldn't let him even though he liked the troop at our ward better ... so, he quit.

coleysmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this

It's about time!

Troops have already changed on the local level. We are liberal  and welcoming.

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

As it stands right now I would not let my child be a part of this. If they openly allow gay people to be a part I would reconsider, but as of now I wouldn't.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Our local troops have never not admitted gays.

LovelyMommy24
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM
5 moms liked this

They better be. There's a big difference in being homosexual and being a child predator. I didn't realize they wouldn't let gay children in, that's just sad. 

theresaphilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I have no idea, my kids don't do the scouts

momto3infl
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I have no problem with the change of stance-like I said our troop and few others we know already accept openly gay.  Girl scouts changed how you earn the badges, many of their type of badges and each level use to be able to get threw the awards in one year and now takes 2yrs for each level of rank.

Quoting Kokoscold:

What did girl scouts change?

You know I'm glad they are changing their stance.... I haven't been buying popcorn because of this ban.

Quoting momto3infl:

We already do in some troops.  But as long as the program keeps advancements the same and not change like girl scouts i will be fine.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

It hasn't came up, locally, as far as I know.

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

OMG I agree

Quoting nancym3:

What do you mean are they ready? Who cares their sexual orientation?!?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I think it's awesome. Gay children deserve to learn the same things as straight children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)