Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son and daughter sharing a room... help? ...EDIT... EDIT 2

Posted by   + Show Post

Anyone have a boy and girl sharing a room?

We plan on buying or building a new house closer to home within the next 6-12 months. When that time comes, all 3 kids will have their own rooms again.

In the meantime, I am going to take over one of their bedrooms and turn it into a work out room. Our gym equipment is currently spread put throughout the house (bench, weights, elliptical, etc.).

One thing is for sure: we are getting them bunk beds! Our daughter is 7 and our son is 5. They are attached at the hip and get along fabulously. So this will be a welcomed transition.

My problem.. I want to make the bedroom comfortable and fun. I want them BOTH to love it and feel like it's "their room". What are some things I can to do make it boyish and girly?

Looking for some cute ideas for storage, personal space, etc.

Just to answer a few questions:

I live in Canada. We don`t have CPS. We have CAS and it`s not illegal for boys and girls to share a bedroom.

Also, our kids aren`t being forced to share a room. They WANT to. They have been bugging us for bunk beds for ages. So, putting them together in a room is only spoiling them. LOL

And HERE is what I think we might build (or buy)! We are thinking it would be better to build something we can take with us.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Replies (321-330):
MrsImperfect
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM
http://www.ehow.com/list_7638816_laws-children-sleeping-one-room.html

Not illegal anywhere in U.S.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Love both of these.  Our kids just had one full size bed they shared when they shared a bedroom since it wasnt big enough for these and the full size bed took up the whole room but the closet.

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Baked green beans? Beans from the garden??? They're long and very juicy. There are yellow ones  too. :/ 

Quoting little_buggie:

This year is going to be my first time hunting, I am super excited, never had moose but I have sure put the hurt on some venison in the last 2 months, lol, and WHAT are baked green beans?!?!?!  OH PLEASE SHARE!!!  On the other hand, if some ass hole is goign to come on my property and threaten MY family with a weapon you can BET they are going to get their ass shot!

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Well, you can have guns, but you can't use them to threaten people off your property or whatever, but a lot of Canadian families still hunt for their food. It's especially popular among the First Nation people. Hunting is big in my family. Nothing like a big moose steak It's AWESOME with baked green beans and bacon.

Quoting little_buggie:

UGH FML!!! Thanks for telling me that, that would be a BIG BIG problem. :(

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

We would LOVE to have OBAMA. He'd do a hell of a lot better than Harper is. Harper is trying to abolish the Indian Act. It's in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, just like the 2nd amendment is in your constitution. But once you come here, you LOSE your right to bear arms because we have gun laws LMAO.

Quoting little_buggie:

Well, I know that children at that age are learnign things from "friends" that they shouldn't be and i would NEVER let my children of the opposit sex share a room after they start kindergarden.  That aside, I DID love my country, however I think that our president is sending us to hell in a handbasket and have REALLY be conscidering moving to Canada.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

America is a country that LOVES to live in fear. The customs in Canada are much more INCLUSIVE than exclusive. There is nothing wrong with two children living in the same room for ANY amount of time. In a lot of Aboriginal cultures (like mine), children were raised in very tiny homes, and there would be up to 12/13 children in it!!! 

Really. Americans are strange sometimes. I wonder if we're the sane ones!

Quoting little_buggie:

I am going to agree with PP I think it's a terrible idea at that age especially kids are learning about their anatomy and this is a recipe for disaster and I think you are being selfish.

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
  • There are no United States Laws that dictate an age that siblings of any sex can share a room. As long as there are no complaints, parents can make reasonable decisions as to who can share what room in their household.

Public Housing

• Apartment complexes and public housing can have rules for tenants that dictate how many bedrooms are required based on the number of people in the family. This rule is generally two people per bedroom. The complex also may require that children be separated by sex.

Read more: Laws on Children Sharing a Room | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6520256_laws-children-sharing-room.html#ixzz2JKOQJMgM

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Her kids are HAPPY. About it. How horrible for them to suffer so much!!

Quoting cmc638:

This until I was 13 my whole family (4) had to share the same room because of the condition of our house. Ik it makes me biased but separate space is so important. Ik its not the same thing but just another perspective your kids shouldn't come second to your wants

Quoting Anonymous:

Selfish,  when gym equipment is more important than kids having their own space!

MrsImperfect
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM
http://www.ehow.com/list_7638816_laws-children-sleeping-one-room.html
No law anywhere. Its not illegal.

Quoting EvilQueenMommy:

Do you have a link? I think it's only for foster children. I think the U.S. isn't allowed to make laws based on that

Quoting Queen_Bree:

In my state it is illegal for a boy and girl over age 5 to share a room. 

EvilQueenMommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I'm wondering if all the people saying it's selfish would even have cared if this had been about moving two brothers or two sisters into the same room so she could have a gym room

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

He doesn't need a happy meal. COMMMMMONNNNNN :(

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

How dare you!!!!!! Don't you know that you have to sacrifice EEEEEVERYTHING for your kids?! Lol

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Sometimes, I spend my money on Starbucks when I could buy my son a happy meal from Mcdonalds. I'm so fucking selfish. :( It's not even free trade coffee either. Double sad.

Quoting danie24:

Why?

What's the point of that?

The kids want to get bunk beds and I want a room for gym stuff.

Sounds like a win-win, to me.

Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

Go without a gym for 6 months?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Prove it. Where is that law?

Quoting CRAZZYB23:

look it up. yes it is in some states. after a certain age its a nono

Quoting Anonymous:

No

Quoting CRAZZYB23:

isnt that against the law... i forgot what age that its not allowed.

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm going to bump this mother fucker for every stupid dingbat that screams "it's illegal!"

Quoting MedicMommy2:

• There are no United States Laws that dictate an age that siblings of any sex can share a room. As long as there are no complaints, parents can make reasonable decisions as to who can share what room in their household.

Public Housing

• Apartment complexes and public housing can have rules for tenants that dictate how many bedrooms are required based on the number of people in the family. This rule is generally two people per bedroom. The complex also may require that children be separated by sex.

Read more: Laws on Children Sharing a Room | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6520256_laws-children-sharing-room.html#ixzz2JKOQJMgM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)