Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son and daughter sharing a room... help? ...EDIT... EDIT 2

Posted by   + Show Post

Anyone have a boy and girl sharing a room?

We plan on buying or building a new house closer to home within the next 6-12 months. When that time comes, all 3 kids will have their own rooms again.

In the meantime, I am going to take over one of their bedrooms and turn it into a work out room. Our gym equipment is currently spread put throughout the house (bench, weights, elliptical, etc.).

One thing is for sure: we are getting them bunk beds! Our daughter is 7 and our son is 5. They are attached at the hip and get along fabulously. So this will be a welcomed transition.

My problem.. I want to make the bedroom comfortable and fun. I want them BOTH to love it and feel like it's "their room". What are some things I can to do make it boyish and girly?

Looking for some cute ideas for storage, personal space, etc.

Just to answer a few questions:

I live in Canada. We don`t have CPS. We have CAS and it`s not illegal for boys and girls to share a bedroom.

Also, our kids aren`t being forced to share a room. They WANT to. They have been bugging us for bunk beds for ages. So, putting them together in a room is only spoiling them. LOL

And HERE is what I think we might build (or buy)! We are thinking it would be better to build something we can take with us.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Replies (581-590):
TigressLily
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I wouldn't be selfish to take one of my kids' rooms to make it something for me... I'd wait until I had a larger house with an extra room for me and let them keep their rooms. I don't care if it's a boy and girl, 2 boys or 2 girls, it just sounds extremely selfish to me.

CassSpade
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM

My kids are 6 and 8 and they have a semi-shared room. It just has beads separating the 2 rooms. They LOVE it and I see nothing wrong with it. That bed is amazing btw.

IloveNCIS
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

OK that picture you are showing..........................is totally awesome. I want one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I looked up family laws in CA since mine wanted to share a room with the bunk beds. In CA it is not illegal for different gender kids to share a room unless they are in foster care.

Quoting Nynnie:

Yes, it is. A police officer said it is. So tell me, where'd you get your law degree? Or what state were you certified to say what is illegal?

Quoting LeahJ:

No, its not., ms internet lawyer. Rofl. Smh.

Quoting Nynnie:

In the US (at least) it's illegal for boys and girls to share a room at the age of 7. I also think that's pretty messed up to take one of their bedrooms for aworkout room. That being said, if this was my brother and I, u would have a big problem: who gets the top bunk?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I did read it, it applies to foster families, yes it does include ALL children in a FOSTER home.... has nothing to do with families who do NOT have foster children...  

Quoting Ameretto13:

In Maine there is no difference between foster, adopted, step or biological siblings. The same law applies to ALL children. So, dear anonymous, READ everything and go through the laws. 

Quoting Anonymous:

these aren't her foster children, it's been stated numerous times in this post it IS illegal with foster children, not so with non foster children...

Quoting Ameretto13:

www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/10/148/148c016-and-015.doc

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ameretto13:

Just curious if you could site the portion of the law in Maine that makes it illegal for sibs to share a room?

Ameretto13
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Really? You're questioning the person who LIVES in the state and has dealt with cps on this issue? I'm telling you the same law applies to every single set of siblings. Its just a different number on each law. I couldn't find it quickly on google, so I posted the one I DID find. If you really want to know you lily livered pos, look it up yourself. While you're at it, why don't you look up different ways of being nice and learning how to do things on your own. Like, oh, I don't know paying attention to what's being typed/said in a response. I didn't say go through THAT law. I said the lawS! Learn how to read things properly and then come back and talk to me. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I did read it, it applies to foster families, yes it does include ALL children in a FOSTER home.... has nothing to do with families who do NOT have foster children...  

Quoting Ameretto13:

In Maine there is no difference between foster, adopted, step or biological siblings. The same law applies to ALL children. So, dear anonymous, READ everything and go through the laws. 

Quoting Anonymous:

these aren't her foster children, it's been stated numerous times in this post it IS illegal with foster children, not so with non foster children...

Quoting Ameretto13:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ameretto13:

Just curious if you could site the portion of the law in Maine that makes it illegal for sibs to share a room?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM

hey asshole, I did google it myself!  every single article, law, or other such reference I found regarding ANY state, clearly states NO SUCH LAW EXISTS.  the only laws I found to exist covers foster families, people living in governmental housing, or receiving government housing subsidy (section 8), as well as the rights of property owners to apply such regulations to their rental agreements....  CPS, may in certain instances suggest siblings don't share a bedroom, they cannot mandate it.  They can, however, petition the courts to remove the child from an unsafe situation, if they determine that "room sharing" to be unsafe, still the final decision is the courts decision, and would likely only occur in extreme circumstances.  Several other posters here concur with my statement, googled the same and found the same information correct. 

PS... OP LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? You're questioning the person who LIVES in the state and has dealt with cps on this issue? I'm telling you the same law applies to every single set of siblings. Its just a different number on each law. I couldn't find it quickly on google, so I posted the one I DID find. If you really want to know you lily livered pos, look it up yourself. While you're at it, why don't you look up different ways of being nice and learning how to do things on your own. Like, oh, I don't know paying attention to what's being typed/said in a response. I didn't say go through THAT law. I said the lawS! Learn how to read things properly and then come back and talk to me. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ameretto13:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ameretto13:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ameretto13:

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:58 AM

example?

Quoting Kaybean:

I already clarified myself on that. Certain programs and situations forbid it.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting Kaybean:

It's not even legal in our state.

lol its legal in all states.

emtmomtwo
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM

my son is 5 and my daughter is 6. we have enough rooms for them to have their own BUT they want to sleep in the same room. they have bunkbeds and the other room is their playroom. CPS wouldnt give a complaint like this the time of day. 

Love says, i sacrifice myself for the other person.

Abortion says, i sacrifice the other person for myself.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I shared a room with my bro until I was 10. We are 15 months apart and we were attached at the hip as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)