Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

baby shower advice .... is this tacky

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm having a baby shower my sister is paying for everything except the food and invites. Well I'm not working so we can't really afford extras right now so I was wondering if I bought stuff to make the roll type sandwiches and pickle and onion wraps (there like crack for my family) and have everyone else bring a dish to pass would that be tacky?

Is a potluck baby shower tacky?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Replies (11-16):
kitchen.ninja
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Yes it is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

what are these pickle onion and crack wraps of which you speak??? recipe please?

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM

if you expect gifts, it's not considered manners to ask for potluck...

Maybe you could talk to a couple of your closest friends and family and ask them to provide something simple like a small veggie tray or something that you could put with your sandwiches and add some chips if you can swing it.

Serve some cupcakes with baby colored frosting (pink, blue, yellow?) out of a box and voila.   You don't need a lot... just one or two friends or family to bring a small tray or something.   As for the iced tea, brew it from tea bags, sweeten to your taste, and provide ice water for those that can't have sugar.

You will have a nice and considerate spread, but won't have to buy it all yourself.

If you don't have friends to help... if there is an Aldi near you, they have bagged baby carrots last week they were 45 cents a bag... don't know if the price is the same, but they have uber cheap produces there... add a bottle of ranch dressing.   For your wrap sandwiches, you will find they have tortilla's, cheese, cream cheese, romaine lettuce, etc... for cheaper than elsewhere.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I think it's fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM
If I'm expected to bring food, I won't bring a gift.
aikimomof3
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Yes, it is tacky. Can you ask your sister and maybe your close family members to make a few things to serve, instead of asking all of the guests to bring potluck dishes?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN