Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Melatonin

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Have you tried melatonin with your child? Did you have good or bad results? How old was your child?

My son's sleep habits have gotten really bad and I am just exploring some options.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
SandyLaxner
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I parent my child so I don't need to medicate them. I put them in bed and they go to sleep. If they wake up I send them back to bed. End of story.

What a warm loving Mama you are!

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can be allergic to Melatonin...it is naturally occurring in your body. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know there are different reasons for everything but honestly, if you are simply doing this because YOU want your child to sleep, well, you better consider what might happen if 1) you overdo it, 2) the child is allergic to it. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would give something like that to my child unless prescribed.  

SandyLaxner
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

But oh so true!! Try it discipline works wonders. My kids also take naps until kindergarten with no problem.

Quoting jas_momof2:

That's a stupid assumption...

Quoting Anonymous:

I parent my child so I don't need to medicate them. I put them in bed and they go to sleep. If they wake up I send them back to bed. End of story.

How do you force someone to sleep?

LaLa_Ivory
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM
We already have melatonin in our bodies. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I know there are different reasons for everything but honestly, if you are simply doing this because YOU want your child to sleep, well, you better consider what might happen if 1) you overdo it, 2) the child is allergic to it. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would give something like that to my child unless prescribed.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM
i give mine melatonin all they time. they sleep great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Yes, I remember you have posted before about that trip to the ER, lol!

(Only funny because they laughed and said that about having a good long nap!) 

I would just hate to see mothers turning to melatonin as a crutch.   I have heard that your body will cease to "make" it if it is administered too much.  Of course, in your case, it is very beneficial.  :)

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Sleep is extremely important-for everyone-especially a growing child.  Melatonin is a naturally occuring hormone in our bodies,so you can't be allergic to it.  My 5yo DS w/Autism has been taking it for a couple yrs,a liquid dropper  type ,orange flavor.  Falls asleep within 15 minutes.  Many kiddos w/Autism have good results w/it.  DS drank maybe 1/2 a bottle,we took him to ER,they laughed and said he'll have a good long nap!So,no worries about overdoing it.  Of course consult your Dr and get advice on dosage.  I highly reccommend it,DH and I take it too.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Ok, ok! So I'm paranoid!! LOL!  

peeking

Quoting LaLa_Ivory:

We already have melatonin in our bodies. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
You are a fucking idiot. Not every child is the same and to try to put down another parent like that it stupid. Good for you, your child is probably a couch potato that has not motivation in his little life. There are kids who have the need to do something all day and have trouble falling asleep. Whether or not a child can easily fall asleep has nothing to do with parenting unless you have absolutely no bedtime schedule, most people asking for advice have a schedule that just isn't working

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Take your child to the dr
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I use it for my 3 year old that has autism. I use it for a week or two at a time. He then is usually back on schedule after that.

Talk to your pediatrician about the dosage.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN