Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Ferber method (CIO)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Who has done it? Did it work? How long did it take?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I tried it and couldn't. Babies aren't meant to be independent.
bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Crying is meant to be annoying, loud, and hard for mothers with stand. Its a baby's scream for help. I could never bring myself to let my child cry :( there is nothing soothing about crying yourself to sleep.

What else have you tried? How long did you try them? How old is the child?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lexxie28
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:05 AM

NO NO NO 

lol

Uhm how old? I am a seasoned nanny and have tried/implemented almost all thee methods lol

I am personally against cry it out unless absolutely necessary. It appears in my experience to lead to insomnia in older children and fear of bed time...

that being said please elaborate on the circumstances that have lead you to consider CIO?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:07 AM

I did. Not that long. I think the big thing for me is I didn't rush to pick them up the second they cried. Even in the morning, I let them have some time alone so they get used to it. What ever they're doing, when they cry I don't rush, I let them try to figure it out (except for the big things like when my daughter split her lip open.) I can't say we're done using it with my son because sometimes we still have to let him cio. Daughter is 3, son is 2, other son is 9 months. Sometimes when we lay the 9 month old down he'll cry. He doesn't really any more, he'll cry, we'll leave and within 5 minutes he'll stop crying and then will go to sleep. Don't start before 6 months though. And you don't have to go by the book, make it work for you.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Never

Never 

Never, I would end up crying instead of the kid, lol

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Back when I had my babies there was no Ferber method, there was just common sense, mommy's need their sleep, it's ok for kids to cry a while. My boys were in the habit of waking for a middle of the night feeding even when they were far too old to need one, so I finally had to just let them cry, it took 3 nights for both, and it didn't last more than 20 minutes.

brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:15 AM
I did let DD CIO until after she turned one. We had our routine and after about a week, she was okay. She's going on 4 soon and goes to bed when she is supposed to anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30 and she sleeps until 6:00 - 9:30am (depends on how tired she is since she began to refuse naps at 2.5). She is very happy and has great sleeping habits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cali_angel_girl
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:17 AM

I don't do cio period.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:23 AM
I started sleep training as soon as she was born. She was not CIO, but I would change her, feed her, and then put her in her crib when she was sleepy, but still awake. During the day I'm very attentive to her needs and to this day, she's never cried for more than 3 mins unless she had gas or was sick. She did very well from newborn - 3 months. Then somewhere along the way, I got into the horrible habit of letting her fall asleep drinking her bottle. Which then turned into 3-4 night feedings. She's 7months old now. I've tried bathing her, massaging her, giving oatmeal before bed, letting her sleep in her swing, white noise, no noise, lots of noise (tv on), dancing under a full moon, begging to God, and everything else in between apart from letting her cry.

Oh, and I've tried letting her sleep with me. Somehow she ends up sideways, with her feet in my back. Then she kicks me all night long.

Quoting bellawomen:

Crying is meant to be annoying, loud, and hard for mothers with stand. Its a baby's scream for help. I could never bring myself to let my child cry :( there is nothing soothing about crying yourself to sleep.

What else have you tried? How long did you try them? How old is the child?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)