Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We haven't even gotten our income tax return and my in laws are already trying to get some

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this

Everytime me and DH come into any money, my inlaws start asking for it. We have 3 kids and we are getting about $9500 back. We haven't talked to them about it or anything but they know that we will get quite a bit back and so MIL has been prying about when we will file and exactly how much we will get back. We have filed and do know the amount but we keep everything vague. She has started dropping hints about how they need financial help. Last year, we gave them $500, this year, I told my DH we are not giving him a single dime, this is for our family not for them. They try to make him feel guilty when he doesn't help them. Their problem is that they didn't plan for the future, they assumed they would be living with one of their children (SIL is still a 2and year resident, BIL is military and moves around too much for them and they are not going to move in with us). Does anyone else have mooching in laws like this? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM
4 moms liked this

I would laugh at them at say mcdonalds is always hiring

LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

if your dh is that much of a push over, i would take the money out and put it in your own account with only your name on it. then you take over paying bills and whatever else youre doing with it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep.

Fil recently came back into the picture after several years of no contact. He and mil divorced back in 1983  and dh has only seen him a few times since. Turns out fil was granted full disability backdated to 1986 or so, and he informed dh that he (dh) could file to be reimbursed for some of his college tuition (because if fil had been considered a disabled vet when dh was in college, he'd have gotten money, so theoretically they should backdate that money to dh). As SOON as mil heard that dh could be getting money back, she had her hand out. Basically she said he owed it to her because she had to pay for stuff for dh growing up. Isn't that a parent's job, to provide for their kid? Who expects to be paid back?

Dh is just glad to have his dad back in the picture. We haven't heard back about the money yet anyway, but no mil will not be getting anything from dh. IF it comes through, it'll be a down payment on a house for us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Yes.  But once we laughed at their requests, literally laughed and then said no, we haven't been asked again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM
No. My inlaws are very kind and help us when we need it. I would happily help them if they were in need.
BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My mother does this to me all the time...she offered me a ride to the bank today to cash my paycheck...should have known it was only so she could barrow...she hasn't asked yet about income tax...I give it a week...

jamamama00
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM
My exes family was like that, so I assumed it was a white trash thing. I find it very bizarre. My parents gift myself and my siblings money on a regular basis. I can't imagine them asking.me for money. I will damn sure never be asking my children for help. How embarrassing!
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Tell MIL/FIL that they are NOT getting a freaking cent. THAT is your money and they have no right to even expect a penny of it.....smdh

I would never ever in a zillion years think that my children "owe" me anything....especially money....smdh

Take that money and move across the country ...far away from those nuts....

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You realize that it's THEIR money, not just hers, right?

Quoting LoveMyLos:

if your dh is that much of a push over, i would take the money out and put it in your own account with only your name on it. then you take over paying bills and whatever else youre doing with it. 

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be upfront and honest with your dh and come to a mutual understanding.  Then back each other up...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured