Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We haven't even gotten our income tax return and my in laws are already trying to get some

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Everytime me and DH come into any money, my inlaws start asking for it. We have 3 kids and we are getting about $9500 back. We haven't talked to them about it or anything but they know that we will get quite a bit back and so MIL has been prying about when we will file and exactly how much we will get back. We have filed and do know the amount but we keep everything vague. She has started dropping hints about how they need financial help. Last year, we gave them $500, this year, I told my DH we are not giving him a single dime, this is for our family not for them. They try to make him feel guilty when he doesn't help them. Their problem is that they didn't plan for the future, they assumed they would be living with one of their children (SIL is still a 2and year resident, BIL is military and moves around too much for them and they are not going to move in with us). Does anyone else have mooching in laws like this? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
emandab
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM

My parents have always been broke due to disabilities that are not under their control.  My parents have had to come to me for money and I have always gladly given it when I can because they have also done the same for me when emergencies have come up even though they couldn't afford to.  They would give me the shirt off their backs, even though the shirt is worn and raggedy.  And I would do the same.  Some families are just different.

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM

my mother in law just called on our oldest sons birthday and instead of wishing him happy birthday she asked for money. then called back and said happy birthday.

yeah.

now if my parents neded help we would give them everything and anything.

Apple11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:17 AM
My inlaws would not be trying to get us to give them money from a tax return or paycheck. Mil wouldn't take money if we gave it to her..not bc she couldn't use it but bc she feels her kids need their money to support themselves and don't need to be supporting her. If my inlaws ever ask us for help we have no problem helping bc they rarely ask us for anything but they do a lot for us.

My family is pretty much the same, never asking for anything, so if they did we would help if we could.

With the exception of my uncle..when it comes to him you give an inch, he takes a mile. We won't give him money anymore and he knows this and rarely asks us anymore. The last few times he asked to " borrow" $40 I have told him I was broke even though I wasn't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM

No. They're not trying to mooch your return. They're trying to mooch your refund. The return is the paperwork.

LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Im not the one who needs it, but ok.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Good luck with that...

Quoting LoveMyLos:

OMG! REEEAALLLYYY?????

if my dh was a pansy and couldn't tell his parents no to giving them money that we need, then i would put it in my account. oh well. never said he couldn't have any of it. i just wouldnt give my dh free rain with it. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

You realize that it's THEIR money, not just hers, right?

Quoting LoveMyLos:

if your dh is that much of a push over, i would take the money out and put it in your own account with only your name on it. then you take over paying bills and whatever else youre doing with it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I have the same issues with bil's. Its horrible. Please put your foot down now before it gets worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Oh heck no I would not give Thea dime

How the heck do you get such a big Return
beaularson91
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

No. My inlaws are very kind and help us when we need it. I would happily help them if they were in need.

This is how I feel about my in laws...well about my MIL at least, if we had extra money I.m pretty sure FIL and his GF would be hitting us up all the time.
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM
My SIL is like that with us. She expects us to pick up the tab for her own stupid choices. Her husband is a deadbeat.

I feel bad for my MIL because she is caught in the middle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

my mil is dead and my fil is well off, so not them.

but i have a bil like that. lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN