Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We haven't even gotten our income tax return and my in laws are already trying to get some

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Everytime me and DH come into any money, my inlaws start asking for it. We have 3 kids and we are getting about $9500 back. We haven't talked to them about it or anything but they know that we will get quite a bit back and so MIL has been prying about when we will file and exactly how much we will get back. We have filed and do know the amount but we keep everything vague. She has started dropping hints about how they need financial help. Last year, we gave them $500, this year, I told my DH we are not giving him a single dime, this is for our family not for them. They try to make him feel guilty when he doesn't help them. Their problem is that they didn't plan for the future, they assumed they would be living with one of their children (SIL is still a 2and year resident, BIL is military and moves around too much for them and they are not going to move in with us). Does anyone else have mooching in laws like this? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
SammiBaby
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM

No mooching in laws here. I wouldn't have it and neither would my husband. They see you all as a paycheck, nothing more. Stop helping them, it only enables the problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM

My husbands sister and one of his brothers crawl out of the woodwork (like the vermin they are) every year at the end of January. They know we get our refund usually around the end of Jan., and that we withhold high to get a big refund. His sister messaged him on FB yesterday. His brother hasn't popped up yet. They disappear again around mid Feb. when they get the picture that they aren't getting anything. Last year, his sister sent me a drop dead hysterical message on FB around mid Feb. She had sent me a link to her baby registry like 5 times in Jan and Feb, and she sent me a message saying "***** (her daughter) hasn't gotten a baby gift from you guys yet, or a Christmas gift!" Talk about entitled... She didn't find my reply amusing at all (I sure did though). She never wrote back and unfriended me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Nope. I offered to have my Mom come stay with us after my Dad passed away but she said no since my Grandma was still alive at the time and she was the closest relative to where Grandma was recieving care, and my nephew was still in school. Now that my nephew has graduated and Grandma has also passed on, Mom doesn't want to move because she is comfortable where she is.

Luckily for us we will be moving a bit closer so we will be able to go see her more frequently and take some of the pressure off my younger brother, who has been helping her since our Grandparents had moved closer and required help from more than Mom and Dad. I know we still won't be able to do much but we can come help with upkeep on her house and take some pressure off when my Nephew becomes a pain. (Mom discovered when Nephew hit his teens that today's teens are much different from when we were raised so she has had me for a sounding board and advice since he hit 13. LOL...I'd already had 2 of those by then)

Luckily the in-laws are fine on their own and not bugging us for anything. I know they would have been happy had our upcoming move been in their direction but I'm glad we are going in the other direction. I love them but we spent 16 years on their side of the country and I feel like we missed a lot from my side of the family. I am looking forward to possibly spending Christmas with my family for the first time in about 29 years.

Mommie2Kailen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:04 AM

My MIL never ask and if she did I doubt we would help her. She is only involved with any of her children ( except the one she lives with) when it's convenient for her. She rarely calls unless someone has died and that is usually a text. I treat her with respect and kindness but its fake and I cant stand her. She messaged me on FB to tell my oldest Happy Birthday. A call would have only taken her 5 minutes.

If my mom needed anything, we would absolutely without a doubt help her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:07 AM

No. But what does $500 hurt?   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Not in laws, but last year my oldest's step mom wanted to her on their return. When she found out that I had already filed, she wanted the difference of having dd on my return. My dd was almost 19 at the time, had just gone out the month before to visit and had decided to stay, had never lived with them at anytime before, nor had they ever paid cs. I just laughed at her. Oh and she tried to get cs for the few months dd was there which was the few months around her 19th bday .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I did, I beat her up and she moved

PoisonousBlonde
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:33 AM
My mil(rip) once asked me for over $1000, I was like wtf??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:06 AM
My parents would never ask. My grandpa died a year ago today and my aunt was laid off about 6months ago and neither one of them have asked to borrow money (Grandma or aunt) from me or my parents my dad might help if she became really desperate.
Christina1285
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM

nope, my MIL and her husband are VERY well off. they help us all the time so IF they were to ask for help, we would help them but that will never happen. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN