Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We haven't even gotten our income tax return and my in laws are already trying to get some

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Everytime me and DH come into any money, my inlaws start asking for it. We have 3 kids and we are getting about $9500 back. We haven't talked to them about it or anything but they know that we will get quite a bit back and so MIL has been prying about when we will file and exactly how much we will get back. We have filed and do know the amount but we keep everything vague. She has started dropping hints about how they need financial help. Last year, we gave them $500, this year, I told my DH we are not giving him a single dime, this is for our family not for them. They try to make him feel guilty when he doesn't help them. Their problem is that they didn't plan for the future, they assumed they would be living with one of their children (SIL is still a 2and year resident, BIL is military and moves around too much for them and they are not going to move in with us). Does anyone else have mooching in laws like this? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Replies (51-60):
lowencope
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM
No none of our parents have ever asked us for money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I dont see a problem helping family
If we can we do if not dont and say you cant spare any at the time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM

My in-laws are dead and we take care of my mother, she lives with us, but we would always help our parents if we could.

chane_L
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Heck no not only did they plan for the future but after FIL "retired" from being lead mechanic after 25yrs. he got bored 6weeks later, and now is a big time Matco Tool distributor in the area.  Mil loves her job so much as a Fleet Mgr she'll do it forever or until they kick her out.

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM

My FIL sends us money all the time. We'll get a "Thinking of You" card from him and it will have a check for $200-$500 in it. He has never asked us for money and he never would as he's well off. I have never borrowed money from my parents and they have never asked me for money. I think if they did ask me for money it would be because they really, really needed it and I would help them out as best I could. However, if my family was asking me for money on a regular basis, I wouldn't give them anything.

danandsamsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

If anyone started prying into my tax status I would look them dead in the eye and say "That is none of your business.  Please don't ask that again.".

Why would you even entertain their questions?

This exactly. 

just_hc
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM

If my parents needed help and I had the means I would help.  

mojogirl
by Gunnery Sgt Hartman on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM

You do know what they say about karma right?  I hope you don't fall into financial dire straits when you get older and, if you do, I hope your kids don't say "screw you."  What's $500 out of $9500, doesn't seem like much to help the older folks out (if they really do need it).

choaspartyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM

They must be horrible people! Thats about like my MIL we haven't spoke to her in over 2 yrs. She's a mean and horrible woman.

Quoting bfountain:

i wouldn't give my in laws air if they needed it let alone money

army_wifey_06
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Sounds exactly like my mil!!! Don't give them any money!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)