Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We haven't even gotten our income tax return and my in laws are already trying to get some

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Everytime me and DH come into any money, my inlaws start asking for it. We have 3 kids and we are getting about $9500 back. We haven't talked to them about it or anything but they know that we will get quite a bit back and so MIL has been prying about when we will file and exactly how much we will get back. We have filed and do know the amount but we keep everything vague. She has started dropping hints about how they need financial help. Last year, we gave them $500, this year, I told my DH we are not giving him a single dime, this is for our family not for them. They try to make him feel guilty when he doesn't help them. Their problem is that they didn't plan for the future, they assumed they would be living with one of their children (SIL is still a 2and year resident, BIL is military and moves around too much for them and they are not going to move in with us). Does anyone else have mooching in laws like this? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Replies (61-69):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM
We have a sharing mentality in our family. If any one gets a large some of money they share with each other. I always give my mom, MIL, and grandma a couple of hundred out of our tax return. In turn when my Mom got approved for disability she got a lot of backpay and agve us 1,000 and when she had been layed off before she was disabled she got a large severenc package and gave us 3,000. When my sister hets her student loans she gives all of us 100. We are a close family though
EAzizM
by Erica on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Well, we CHOOSE to help our parents out. They raised us and spent who knows how much money on us...the least we can do is give them money here and there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jbcmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I think we are married to the same man. My Inlaws never planned for the future and are always telling my dh how broke they are. He is going to send them money when we get our taxes back but I don't mind. They are his parents and I understand he wants to help them. He probably won't give them a big amount because he wants to start his own business but sometimes it bothers me because they help their other kids (who are drug addicts) and they always guilt trip my dh.

auntietotty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Hell no, my MIL would never ask us for a dime. For one thing, she has more money than God anyway...and for another..you just dont do that. My mom wouldnt either. And I'd never do that with my kids.

Why are middle aged/or older people wanting YOUR money? I dont get it. Why do they need help? You'd think at their age, they would be able to handle their own money where they have what they need. We're 47 and 51 and are more comfortable than we've ever been.  I would never expect my kids (who are 25 and 27) to give us money.  We are responsible for US...our kids arent responsible or obligated to do anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I wouldn't give them anything.  Unless they have medical conditions and are unable to work, then they need to be working like the rest of the world.

Theaterchick
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM
My mil is like that, when we have money that's when she comes around but when she finds out we are low or wont help its a big guilt trip for the both of us. I have known his family for 10 years so I get the guilt trip too. I told df that I'm done helping
Sewsofun
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
No, my mother wouldn't but my father would, he has undiagnosed aspergers and he just doesn't really see how terrible that would be. But I don't speak to him anymore. My in-laws would never. We are a one income family at the moment and if they did I it would have to be a dang good reason.
skittlefart
by Taste the Rainbow on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM

My mil is trying to get SO to buy her a new tv...-.-; she doesn't even have a place of her own anymore since she pulled the shit she did. She sleeps on her sister's couch...and with how rude she's been being lately, fuck no; every dime belongs to DS and SO. >.> And a writing tablet and camera for me because SO said he would buy me new ones <3 

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 2 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
RaynesMommy07
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Quoting EAzizM:

Well, we CHOOSE to help our parents out. They raised us and spent who knows how much money on us...the least we can do is give them money here and there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured