Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've got a possible serious problem! ETA

Posted by   + Show Post
It's about my Granddaughter. She's mixed. Her mom (my step daughter) is white and her dad is black and I'm really interested in how her school is going to teach black history month. She is the only bi-racial child in her school (we live in a small town) and just last week she came home upset cause the teacher was talking about how white Americans had blacks for slaves. She's 4 almost 5! The teacher didn't explain it right or something cause she was afraid that she and her daddy would be slaves to my family cause we are white. I was soooo mad! How can I talk to her about this so she can understand.

ETA: to those who are calling troll. I am not. And I guess the teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. You know the slave that's famous for the underground railroad. So that is where my granddaughter heard about slavery. I guess the teachers are going to start Black History Month by telling stories about history's legendary African Americans who made a difference. And Harriet was first. They are also going to talk about Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr, BB King, James Meredith, George Washington Carver, President Obama, and a few others. And you know kids with their million and one questions. The teacher must not have explained it well enough for her to understand. So now that I know what's going on I am going to be better equipped to answer any questions she has.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:33 AM
Huh I'm getting a troll vibe.

What preschool is teaching anything about slavery?
laineysmum
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:34 AM

That teacher sounds like a fucking dumbass. "Ahh a black student, let's incorporate slavery into the preschool curriculum. Let's see, should we introduce it before or after 'draw your favorite shape'?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:36 AM

She mis understood. It happens. Explain it to her. Not sure why its so damned controversial.  They start with Thanksgiving in Kindergarten-and that has it's own controversy

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Quoting lucsch:

Another reason I homeschool!

Seriously, just correct it! Tell her that happened a long, long time ago and that everyone is friends now.

yeah lets lie to her. smh...

honestly OP sounds like you are overreating.

PepperWillow
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:48 AM

I don't think it's bizarre to touch on this time of year in pre-k. She likely just misunderstood. Remind her everything is different now and we even have a mixed president. 

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Her teacher was telling them a story about Harriet Tubman. And I'm sure the kids asked what slavery was and why they ran away.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

Why would a 4 y/o be learning about slavery???  Doesn't even being to make sense...

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
There was some confusion on her part. The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. And kids asked what slavery was and why they ran away. She's ok now. We helped her understand.

Quoting Sassy762:

Seriously????

You and the mom should go to the school and talk to the teacher and the principal...find out what was said in the classroom....before getting  upset. Hopefully  your granddaughter misunderstood the teacher.

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM
It's a small school so they mix some of the lower classes together for stories and they were telling a story about Harriet Tubman. And questions were asked about slavery and why they ran away. So now that we know what's going on I'm more equipped to help her understand. They are going to be telling lots of stories about America's most influential African Americans.

Quoting Anonymous:

What sort of pre-school, I am assuming it's pre-school as she is not 5 years old yet, teaches children about slavery?  Looks like some education is going to need to happen at home.  

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman and the kids asked what slavery was and why they ran away. My Granddaughter has the tendency to hear only what she wants to hear sometimes, lol. So we explained to her what was what. This next month is going to be very educational for Black History Month. I wish that on the day they get to hear about George Washington Carver that they would get to make their own peanut butter but they can cause there students there that have a peanut allergy. I'll just have to do that with her at home :)

Quoting lexxie28:

I would have a meeting with the teacher and then have the teacher explain in front of you what she "meant" to say. GOD DAMN 

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Yeah we went that route when we helped her understand better. The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad. So know my Granddaughter knows that it happened a very long time ago and she doesn't need to worry because we are all smarter now and know better.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly I would tell her that it had happened way in the past and that it was a part of history. She is right in assuming that it is bad/wrong to judge people on their skin color. Today everyone is treated equal and slavery does not exist anymore. Your family is an example of that. Part of african american history month is to show that their are brave men and women of come in both african american and caucasian.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured