Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've got a possible serious problem! ETA

Posted by   + Show Post
It's about my Granddaughter. She's mixed. Her mom (my step daughter) is white and her dad is black and I'm really interested in how her school is going to teach black history month. She is the only bi-racial child in her school (we live in a small town) and just last week she came home upset cause the teacher was talking about how white Americans had blacks for slaves. She's 4 almost 5! The teacher didn't explain it right or something cause she was afraid that she and her daddy would be slaves to my family cause we are white. I was soooo mad! How can I talk to her about this so she can understand.

ETA: to those who are calling troll. I am not. And I guess the teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. You know the slave that's famous for the underground railroad. So that is where my granddaughter heard about slavery. I guess the teachers are going to start Black History Month by telling stories about history's legendary African Americans who made a difference. And Harriet was first. They are also going to talk about Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr, BB King, James Meredith, George Washington Carver, President Obama, and a few others. And you know kids with their million and one questions. The teacher must not have explained it well enough for her to understand. So now that I know what's going on I am going to be better equipped to answer any questions she has.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM
It's not BS. Why is it when someone comes on here with questions and concerns that aren't run into on a daily business people cry troll or BS. So fyi the teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad. And she got scared that it will happen again. We assured her that it never will again.

Quoting ColieO:

I smell bullshit.

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Good for you to homeschool! I'm still debating on whether I'm going to do it as well until I can afford private school. But I still have 2yrs to decide before my DS goes for pre-school. And we did just as you said. We explained to her it was a long time ago when people didn't know better. The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. So I can see why she got upset about it. But its all better now.

Quoting lucsch:

Another reason I homeschool!

Seriously, just correct it! Tell her that happened a long, long time ago and that everyone is friends now.

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM
No troll here! And It's not BS. Why is it when someone comes on here with questions and concerns that aren't run into on a daily business people cry troll or BS. So fyi the teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad. And she got scared that it will happen again. We assured her that it never will again. And explained it to her better. The teachers are going to be telling stories about America's most influential African Americans and Harriet Tubman was first.

Quoting Anonymous:

Huh I'm getting a troll vibe.

What preschool is teaching anything about slavery?

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM
The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman and cause the school is small they combined a few of the lower grades together for story time.

Quoting laineysmum:

That teacher sounds like a fucking dumbass. "Ahh a black student, let's incorporate slavery into the preschool curriculum. Let's see, should we introduce it before or after 'draw your favorite shape'?"

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Yes she did get confused and misunderstood the teacher. The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad. We explained to her that it won't happen again. She now thinks that Harriet is very brave and smart, lol. I can't wait for her to learn about more influential people during next month.

Quoting Anonymous:

She mis understood. It happens. Explain it to her. Not sure why its so damned controversial.  They start with Thanksgiving in Kindergarten-and that has it's own controversy

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I'm not overreacting. I was concerned. She was terribly upset. But we got it all smoothed out. The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. And now that she knows and understands better she is going to have fun learning about more people next month.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting lucsch:

Seriously, just correct it! Tell her that happened a long, long time ago and that everyone is friends now.

yeah lets lie to her. smh...

honestly OP sounds like you are overreating.

rkkeller13
by Kristy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
We did sit her down and explained it to her. The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. The 1st of many people they will get to learn about.

Quoting PepperWillow:

I don't think it's bizarre to touch on this time of year in pre-k. She likely just misunderstood. Remind her everything is different now and we even have a mixed president. 

3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Um.. I think you overreact.
Why automatically assume the teacher was at fault? Seems reasonable to assume the almost 5 yr old didn't comprehend what she'd heard correctly.
Remember the primary educators are the parent and the schools are secondary.
Why wait for them to teach your granddaughter something you think is important?
lucsch
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I don't think it is a lie at all, just simplified for a preschooler. Breaking the cycle of discrimination has to start with teaching the kids the right way to treat one another. In HER life, obviously her parents felt that way or they wouldn't have had a relationship.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting lucsch:

yeah lets lie to her. smh...

honestly OP sounds like you are overreating.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Thank goodness. I was hoping the teacher didn't say anything to crazy to  your DD....

Quoting rkkeller13:

There was some confusion on her part. The teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. And kids asked what slavery was and why they ran away. She's ok now. We helped her understand.

Quoting Sassy762:

Seriously????

You and the mom should go to the school and talk to the teacher and the principal...find out what was said in the classroom....before getting  upset. Hopefully  your granddaughter misunderstood the teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN