Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've got a possible serious problem! ETA

Posted by   + Show Post
It's about my Granddaughter. She's mixed. Her mom (my step daughter) is white and her dad is black and I'm really interested in how her school is going to teach black history month. She is the only bi-racial child in her school (we live in a small town) and just last week she came home upset cause the teacher was talking about how white Americans had blacks for slaves. She's 4 almost 5! The teacher didn't explain it right or something cause she was afraid that she and her daddy would be slaves to my family cause we are white. I was soooo mad! How can I talk to her about this so she can understand.

ETA: to those who are calling troll. I am not. And I guess the teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. You know the slave that's famous for the underground railroad. So that is where my granddaughter heard about slavery. I guess the teachers are going to start Black History Month by telling stories about history's legendary African Americans who made a difference. And Harriet was first. They are also going to talk about Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr, BB King, James Meredith, George Washington Carver, President Obama, and a few others. And you know kids with their million and one questions. The teacher must not have explained it well enough for her to understand. So now that I know what's going on I am going to be better equipped to answer any questions she has.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Replies (31-34):
catrig
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Assuming this is true, why not just teach her some black history?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

You cannot shelter her from the horrible truth of America's history.  Tell her the truth, and that it was a long time ago.  

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

That was my first thought.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

Why would a 4 y/o be learning about slavery???  Doesn't even being to make sense...

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My 1st grader came home asking if she needed to start sitting in the back of the bus.  We just explained it that it happened a long time ago, answered her questions and reassured her that she was 100% equal to the white kids and could sit whereever she chose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)