Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

important question! please help

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:07 AM
  • 13 Replies
My son (4) started coughing last night. Kinda a phlemy cough. He's still coughing this morning. Its not constant, just the occasional cough. No fever or anything

My quesion is should I keep him home from school? This may be a silly question to some, but he's my only one so this is new for me to deal with
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anitarichman
by Anita on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Yes, if you think the coughing will interrupt his school day.  My dd18 has what sounds like the same cough, she goes to school, but she said it's tiring to be coughing so much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
If there's no fever he's fine to go to school
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I send my kids to school with coughs...if there is no fever or anything else then no sense in keeping them home.
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I would if you think it would bother him or other kids at school. Ask your doc?

HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Is it sinus drip cough? If not, he is contagious. Sending him.to.school.spreads it around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM

No fever and not throwing up, then they go to school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Yes.  We had that - no temp and a little cough at first, and the next day it was the flu.

tlcory
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM

If no fever or other symptoms I would send him, it could be drainage from sinuses. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM

No, because chances are it will dissipate within a couple of hours. A LOT of kids who cough will cough mostly at night/when they wake up - post nasal drip & laying down does that. He needs to cough in the morning to clear all the yuck out that settled in the night.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Send him in. My daughter had a cough once, for three weeks. I took her to the doctor and there was nothing they could do. Because she had no fever, the dr said she was fine to go to school. She's 3 1/2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)